Is a Hall a Theatre?

barrfieldsboy

Yes but what are the main physical differences that most of the time, differ the two?

I know some halls that are more attractive than some theatres. But does a theatre necessarily have to have "theatre" in the title? Do you think that a venue with movable stalls chairs is a theatre or hall?

Also, In a theatre, can you use the word 'hall' to descibe the auditorium.

Yes but what are the main physical differences that most of the time,

<SNIP>

Also, In a theatre, can you use the word 'hall' to descibe the auditorium.

A permanent stage perhaps? I believe that Americans do call the auditorium the hall. Don't know what makes me think that though...

No, a hall is not a theatre. However it is a space that can be used to perform.

Any space can be used to perform, regardless of where and when.

Generally a theatre has set boundaries, I.e the Pros-arch, the raised stage, racked seating etc... But depending on the performance different boundaries can be moved, enhanced or removed all together. Thus creating a different set of physical boundaries for the audience to mentally deal with.

People go and watch the Royal Guard's do their change over at Buckingham Palace. This is a performance, but it is not set within a theatre. Although it does have boundaries such as the huge metal fence that surronds the palace.

You walk through Covent Garden and yes it is full of street theatre performances, magicians, singers, dancers etc... but it does not turn Covent Garden into a theatre!

They are purely a space which is used to stage a performance.

That's my 2p anyway!

Ben

There's a room in the Birmingham uni guild of students that comes at this from the opposite end - a room with a pros arch and permanent stage (with attendant kit), though it is often extended with a thrust, but no permanent seating. This actually spends a far greater amount of it's time being used for dancing type events with only a DJ or maybe a band on stage but with out seats, along with doing a lot of other random functions that happen to need a big empty room but not a stage. I wouldn't really say this was a theathre yet it does have a stage is the point I am trying to come to.

At what stage do you think, a hall becomes a theatre?

Interesting thought....

To me, a theatre is a venue whose primary function is the presentation of the more traditional styles of performance. A hall, in my honest opinion, tends to be a space often used for a multitude of functions - and yes, in some cases a hall MAY be turned INTO a theatre environment.

Many halls try to aspire to the title 'theatre' (as with one Civic venue rather near to me) but often fail to achieve.

:angry:

TD

I would probably describe a theatre as a space built specifically for the performance of theatrical works. So that means that they have a back stage area, some form of operators booth (although some of the older theatres only have removable stalls at the back, it is still an operators booth), an antechamber of some description for the sale of (and checking of) tickets, and semi permanant seating.

Most halls are multi purpose venues, so they are not theatres. I am loath to call most black box theatres a theatre, they are more of a 'space' in my opinion, as often there is no dedicated staging area.

I am sorry I cannot be more specific, but I think that the easiest way to define a hall and a theatre, is when you walk in, do you think of it as a hall or as a theatre?

I suppose another point of notice could be the raked floor - halls are usually a flat wooden surface, theatre, raked carpeted surface (although wood is not unusual).

We have a studio theatre at Warwick, it doesn't have a stage as such, just raked seating. However you can remove the seating, is it then just a hall? It does however have a permanent control room and technical infrastructure.

I wonder if the hall/theatre definition is the best one to make, however I'm not sure what you should be comparing the theatre to instead.

PN

Archived