Suggest to me a decent mic stand

Alec

For my stock Id be after K & M,but they need 11 stands.And they cant afford K and M or Beyer,maybe I should of started a new thread,but for this purpose at the end of the day this jobs either going to be thomann or studiospares.

Just wondered if anyone had had a chance to compare?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not actually seen the thomann ones. The look as if they don't have a telescopic boom, which I would find a bit of a pain.

I have in the region of 30 studiospairs ones here, and they're pretty good. My only problem is that students will fiddle with things so bits get lost. However that would happen with whatever type of stand I had.

Oh and why do students think that stands (mic, music & keyboard) are made to support their body weight? :D

I'd swing in with another vote for the Beyerdynamic GST-500 and GST-590. ... (basically the same as K&M except they are all matt black rather than chrome and use turn wheels instead of tommy bars for tightening joints)

IIRC the reason the are 'basically the same as K&M' is because K&M make them for Beyer. So, why pay more to reinvent the wheel. We use K&M on our hire stock and sell loads of the things too. The availability of inexpensive spares make them a great investment.

Steve

K&M gets our vote for exactly the same reasons as StevieR. The spares situation is especially useful seeing as many of our customers are schools!!! And most stands and accessories come in matt black as well as chrome in case there was any doubt on that one!

I personally would avoid the ones that have polycryptolene (or however it is spelt...) bases as I have found those to be a bit unstable with heavier mics or when used on high extension.

I'd swing in with another vote for the Beyerdynamic GST-500 and GST-590. ... (basically the same as K&M except they are all matt black rather than chrome and use turn wheels instead of tommy bars for tightening joints)

IIRC the reason the are 'basically the same as K&M' is because K&M make them for Beyer. So, why pay more to reinvent the wheel. We use K&M on our hire stock and sell loads of the things too. The availability of inexpensive spares make them a great investment.

Steve

Main reason went for Beyers (and yes I know they are all made in the same factory) was down to the fact I used to be able to get them 10%-15% cheaper than K&Ms, plus back in the day Autograph (K&M distributor at time and probably still are) never had any great quantity of the black K&Ms. So not really a matter of wheel being redesigned more a case of economics and availability/

I have used both and both have positive and negatives which all relate to the small differences between them. Would be happy with either. I've had to deal with Mic stands for over 20yrs and know that, as with many products these days, its only the badge that is different. My vote for Beyer is based on investment of many thousands of pounds over the years. That is not to say that it is a vote against K&M rather it is based on long experience with the Beyers for the reason mentioned above.

One thing that does irritate me about this forum is that when someone speaks up for something people quite often pile in to show that they know more, are cleverer, have read more manuals and are more right. Opinions on one product do not totally exclude other products. My opinions are based on long experience and lots of expense. I am merely trying to pass that experience and help on. I don't need people trying to "flame" me for doing so. Sorry if this offendspeople but it has been creeping into the forum recently and if it continues people with real advice to give will just turn their backs on it as an irrelevant shouting match.

Beyer. K&M. Buy either and be very happy. As it happens the thread poster indicates these are out of their league. Well my only advice, and if anyone disagrees with me I am very sorry, is buy well and buy once - buy cheap, buy many times.

Rant over

Furry

Absolutely with furry on this one, but it's hard to explain to not technical types that I want a stand that cost 3 times as much as the cheap one's they've found.I've tried the "but theyll fail" reasonong but they just say "it doesnt matter we can buy two more for the same price"!

Ho hum.

Pete, you have my deepest sympathies on this one. A long time ago I discovered the hard way that cheaper is by no means better. And that was 20 years ago when their wasn't half as much cheap stuff around. Imagine no Behringer, no massive OEM factories in China! Always an issue with some places that have a small capital expense budget so are limited with what they can buy initially but are happy with a huge maintenance bill as this is on a different budget - crazy really!

If the money really isn't there for top drawer quality then go for the best you can afford. The Proels seem to be well made, support some real weight and seem to have plenty of advocates on the board. Are these out of your man's range aswell?

Oh well and, as you say, Ho Hum

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good experience with the thomann £10 ones:

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_millenium_ms2003_prodinfo.html

I wouldn't choose them over proel or K and M, but they seem to work fine. Have you thought of going for non boom ones, even round base ones, as these seem to be a bit more hardy, and thomann have got the easy adjust ones for £13 which are made by K & M anyway?

the K&M ones at £13 from Thomann are the ones I use. never had a problem with them.

I have a number of the really chep ones from thomann aswell (about £6.50). Avoid these for heavy work, they're ok for standard stuff but the plastic connections soon wear out if you try and force anything.

We all know to undo connections before adjustment to save on general wear. but do we always do it? probably not? do the crew do it. NEVER.

Rob

Archived