Suggest to me a decent mic stand

Alec

With what money? The same money we need to buy our new FOH cabs with, which is the same as the money we need to buy a new radio mic capsule with since someone wrapped it round the body pack too tight and killed it? Anyway I've wandered OT, I'm sure that Beyer do the spares I will investigate.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have had a problem with the beyerdynamic mic stands at my church.

The rubber in the tilt lock seems to have died and they now have a habit of drooping, and thats with just an SM58 on the end, nothing particularly weighty.

Annoying isn't it! :angry:

For this reason my vote goes to the K&M's with the t-bar to do them up nice and tight.....you can get a better grip on them rather than the round knob on the Beyer.

Annoying isn't it! :P

For this reason my vote goes to the K&M's with the t-bar to do them up nice and tight.....you can get a better grip on them rather than the round knob on the Beyer.

But make sure you actually make use of this facility to tighten the stand up very very tight...

(thinks... not so fond memories of a festival where the mic stand got very droopy due to a lack of tightening to the mic stand on the part of a certian person.... :angry: )

Beyer GST400 or 500 but do yourself a favour - buy a bottle of Loctite Studlock from your local Car Parts shop and apply to the boom/upright thread joint - you do not want that continually loosening as it does - even on a Beyer. As a previous poster said - heavy but tough and reliable and my choice every time.

Hi mate,

K&M 21090, the industry standard telescopic boom stand. Beyerdynamic do one which is almost identical (I think it is actually made by K&M)...either go to Canford, Autograph Sales or Beyerdynamic UK and you should be able to get a decent price.

Don't buy from Maplin or anything like that as you'll end up with flimsy junk. I've used stands by people like Senn before (NOT sennheiser!) and while they are pretty cheap they fall apart under serious use.

Cheers,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The most popular boom stand around amongst pro's is the K&M 210/9 (actually its full code is 21090-300-55 for the black version). For shorties, try the 259 (25910-300-55). There are a lot of cheap copies around - even K&M make a cheaper series - so beware. They're available from several places; Autograph, Canford, Bill Lewington to name but three.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread,but I need some advice on Mic stands.

Has anyone any experience of the Thomann Millenium Stands?

Link!

Theyre not for my "gigging" stock,rather for a venue,whos budget is somewhat limited!

I'd swing in with another vote for the Beyerdynamic GST-500 and GST-590. Over the years have used and sold hundreds of the things. Well built, fully adjustable (basically the same as K&M except they are all matt black rather than chrome and use turn wheels instead of tommy bars for tightening joints) and with a full range of spare parts available. Not necessarily the cheapest to buy but spread out the cost over the amount of gigs they'll last you and you'll see they are one of the most cost effective bits of equipment in your hire stock.

For pricing call Marquee Audio on 01932 566777. Always get a good price and remember bulk = better price

Thats my tuppence worth

Furry

Archived