Fixing lighting/Scaff bars together

eldar

Hello all,

I'm looking for some help, mainly the name of the piece of rigging that I require. I've seen them in other theatres, so I know what I want but I don't know what it's called.

I have a projector to mount from one of my lighting bars. It is suspended on a bar that points vertically up. I need to attach it to my horizontal lighting bar. Can someone please tell me what is the name of the coupler/ scaff/ attachment that I need?

I also have two lighting bars, both horizontal and I want to place another bar between them, also horizontal. Its basically an addition of another bar across two existing lighting bars. Can you also advise as to the best piece of kit to attach these together. It's probably similar to the one I need for the projector bar.

I hope my needs are clear, please tell me if I need to give more instructions, or if I am straying into an area that I shouldn't be doing without further experience/ qualifications. To me it seems quite simple, but I am a lighting tech (not meaning that lighting techs are simple! . ;) ) I just need to know what the bits I need are called before I can try to order them.

Thanks in advance

eldar

I'm not a scaff expert, but I think what you want for the projector is a double coupler.

For joining two bars perhaps a sleeve coupler is the right thing?

There's some nice pics of scaff bits on the site below. I know nothing about the company concerned - just found the page via Google.

www.crocodilescaffolding.co.uk

Regards,

Marc

Hello all,

I'm looking for some help...

;) {snip}

eldar

You need right angled scaff clamps, of which you can get various types from different suppliers.

However, as you intimate in your original post that you're not overly experienced in rigging I would offer a word of caution. If in doubt seek advice from a local scaffolder. If you get something wrong rigging heavy bits of metal in the air, it could be someone else's neck first, but yours would likely follow soon after!

TD

Thanks all for your help, the crocodile website was brilliant in actually giving me pictures of what I wanted.

I picked up a double coupler from a local scaff place this morning, all for a donation to their tea money!

On the safety issue - I have used couplers before but it was freelancing for a company and I just couldn't remember the name of what they were. Also I have a secondary means of safety rigged to both the projector and the bar/ bars it will hang from. I think if I decide to rig anything more serious than this I will be looking for an expert to come and assess it though, if only to cover my back on the risk assement (aside from the not dropping things on peoples heads part ) ;)

Thanks once again,

eldar

DOUGHTY ENGINEERING LTD

Crow Arch Lane

Ringwood

Hampshire

BH24 1NZ

United Kingdom

E-mail: sales@doughty-engineering.co.uk

Web: www.doughty-engineering.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0)1425 478961

Manufacture scaf and truss and accessories specialy suited to the theatre industry and have an online catalogue.

I have got some aluminum scaff going out on a tour with a well known comedian, only trouble is the scaff needs to be a total length of 10ft but in 2 pieces to fit in tour car, "no problem" I thought, but the scaff joiners need to be very slimline to fit in the pocket of the cloth, I had ordered some internal joiners from stage lx but they don't appear to fit my scaff tube, any suggestions of temporary fixes? bits are being sent out on subnday so not alot of time to sort things, its only a lightweight cloth (no more than 8 kgs.) :guitar:

I got some aluminium scaff from White Light once, and a pair of scaff joiners. These were very discrete, much like the ones 'nix mentioned but I didn't know the brand.

The problem was that the scaff I had delivered was 50mm o/d scaff and the joiners were designed for 48mm o/d.

If your joiners don't fit your scaff tube you night want to check that your scaff is 48mm not 50mm. If it is 50mm you might have problems with any joiners you get.

James

as regards kee clamp for your cloth bottom, fitting no.14-8 I think is what you need. should be available as 50mm internal dia but will bolt down to 48mm. Be aware of internal joiners in a situation where they are put under any bending load as they do tend to allow flex at the join, particularly if they are not new. Also, they are not meant for use on aluminium tube, as they tend to split it. All tube should be end/end joined in external clamping fittings.

If your cloth is only 8kg and 10ft wide, I would forget the scaff and nip along to your local electrical wholesalers and get 2 5ft bits of 20mm conduit and a joiner, and get them to thread the ends for you. when doing large scale clothes, conduit works excellently so for your size it'll be great. always worth seeing if your local theatre has a couple of bits they can let you borrow/acquire!

Having said all that, if you only want weight and not stretch then chain is perfect, and folds up!

in the end I have managed to get the joiners to fit, one of my production staff decided to "play" with the joiner and that caused the problems!!! I will definately use conduit for the bottom of the cloth but it will have to be scaff tube for the top because of using hookclamps and limited timescale. also, luckily I have been rummaging through my odds 'n' sods area and have found the bits of conduit I need, im not the one doing the tour but it is for one of my female members of crew and I cant do enough for her because she is keen to learn and help put the hours in. :guitar:

Archived