Truss,motors,help

themadhippy

been asked (told) to look into the possabilaty of replacing our foh bars with moterised truss <_< ,so before I start hasseling suppliers/installers thought id check ive got my head around wots needed

was thinking of spliting the bar into 2 x 5 meter sections of truss and using 2 motors per section.looking at around 500kg maximum load,cant think we'd ever need any more than that? or would 1 x10 meter and 3 motors be ok,not as flexiable but slightly cheaper

is it acceptable to have the motors carying the load permatly above the audiance?

saftey lines 1 in the middle or one either end ?

anything else I need to take into consideration?

cheers

If you buy double-braked motors, you can leave the load on the motors all the time - and not need safetys. Whatever you do - don't do what I did and buy VGB70...not worth the trouble, I tell you.

Are you likely to want the two halves of your FOH bar independant of each other? Can't imagine why that would be that useful, to be honest. (Mind you, I've never seen your building...)

Another thing to think about is: Truss in inherently useful stuff. Bear in mind that you may use it for more than your initial cxoncept once you've got it, and purchase your lengths of truss etc accordingly. (Ie: don't just go for one or two great big bits...small bits connected are more flexible, if slightly heavier/more expensive.

Good luck. And PM me if you want to know a company to avoid...(can't mention publicly, sadly.)

I would look at getting a full set of steels as well as spansets not only can you then put a saftey on if required. You could dead hang your truss off the steels and rob the motors to help you lift elswhere in the venue. very handy for heavy flats and cuts down on the need for more motors. So get the control and power looms permenantley installed to the FOH bar and get a set of loose looms so that you can use them elsewhere. You could even be cheakey and hire them out and earn some sponds off your capital outlay! Look at geting a good selection of rigging bits will make the most of your motors rather than just leving them with a truss hanging off them! Dont forget clutch chains v handy when\if motors go wrong it means you can secure the load and drop the motor without any hasle. Then the service tech wont have to up in the air or make the load safe (save you money)!

Thanks for all the advice chaps,was thinking of making the truss from 2 x 2meter sections and 2 x 3 meter sections,my olny concern is the number of joins,does this affect the load rating/number of supports? Also will 3 motors be enough or is it overkill?

extra steels and spansets ,cunning,I like it,added to the spec :** laughs out loud **:

ou could even be cheakey and hire them out and earn some sponds off your capital outlay!

Could be embarrassing if they're out of the building when you need to get the truss in unexpectedly though.

Hello Hippy

I've got 11.5 metre sections of Slick Minibeam on two Gis motors. The motors are about one metre from the end of each section. as it's minibeam there has'nt been any problems with span, each motor is 500kg and the whole setup has been working well for the last 4 years. regular checks and maintainance are a matter of course as is breaking the whole thing down and moving the sections about. I would not recomend the Gis motors for this application, Lodestar are the boys for the job. ask our friends at PCM.

as for splitting the FOH, I think its a nice idea, but with the price of motors, the cash could probably be better spent somewhere else.

any Questions?

ste

IF IN DOUBT ASK SOME ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. AND NOT JUST INFO ON A SITE LIKE THIS. EACH SITUATION IS DIFFERENT FROM ANOTHER. I AM A RIGGER AND AM ABLE TO OFFER HELP AND ADVISE TO THOSE WHO WANT IT. I ALSO HAVE SOME VERY GOOD CONTACKS WITHING THE INDUSTRY AND CAN GET SOME GOOD HIRE PRICES .

IM HERE TO HELP

no worries truss monkey,im was olny after genral advice to avoid being taken for a ride by suppliers/installers. best quote so far, around £3.5k for 10 meters of truss, 2 motors and the varies steels, spansets ect,just waiting for the structual engineers to get back to me on wether our building can support the weight and costing for suitable rigging points.

Archived