UV filter

dmxeater

Hi guys,

Our school has just bought 4 pilot 250's and in the description it says,

"UV Filter"

How good are the filters ? can they do a whole scene in UV picking out all the white ?

Thanks for your help,

dmxeater  ;)

a uv filter is usually placed infront of the discharge lamp to remove any damaging uv from the light output (laymens terms) otherwise you can burn your skin and eyes etc.

Correct me if iam wrong

Mark

In this case, the UV filter Pearl River talk about is a UV simulation filter in one of the colour slots. It does make UV paint fluoresce, but also lets some visible light through - a bit like congo blue in effect. So, you can't use it to replace proper UV tubes or cannons, but it does work on UV painted cloths, costumes and scenery. In fact, it does look quite good - but the blackout you may want to achieve will be impossible.

Congo Blue (Lee 181) is commonly used as an alternative to UV, although as Paul says, its not true-UV, and you will still have some visible light. For true UV, you'll need a proper UV cannon, but these are stocked by pretty much all hire companies, and are fairly cheap to hire. They cannot generally be dimmed, however, and require hard power.

UV `simulation` filters in moving lights are sometimes referred to as Wood`s Glass filters after Professor Robert W Wood who pioneered the use of UV photography.

Woods glass is also used as the filter on Blacklight Blue, fluorescent and mercury vapour lamps. Its the deep purple coating you see on these, its made by adding nickel oxide to the glass and blocks visible light form 400nM to 700nM.

Blacklight in fluoros is a specific colour without a Woods glass coating, its the blueish colour used for things like aquarium lighting. Blacklight Blue, BLB, is the type of tube you want for UV effects.

Would steer clear of the mercury vapour UV cannons using 400W lamps, real risk of sunburn at short range >10`

I'm pretty sure we had some gel in school a while back that gave a UV effect, in that it was showing up the white in clothing. I really don't know where it came from (I wasn't even aware we had it until I put it over a flood and turned it on about 5 minutes before doors were about to open for a disco). I'll try and work out what it was and where we got it from when I've next got the swatch book handy.

Archived