First Show...last Show

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First show: School nativity play aged (7?) I was a Wise Man...(ho ho)

First show in a backstage capacity: Genesis concert, at the Wolverhapton Civic Hall, on the first day of my work experience.

Last show: Croydon Mela.

(Notice how the glamour rating falls...)

and It's not a case of 1.5mm2 being too small to be clamped - it's too large for the outer PVC coating to fit in the clamp - only the inner cores fit. - hence the prospect of clamping just the 3 cores of the 3 Core flex..

Haven't got the IEE On-site Guide to hand, but can't you use 1mm2 for 5A? And what are you wiring into 5A plugs in PVC flex?

and It's not a case of 1.5mm2 being too small to be clamped - it's too large for the outer PVC coating to fit in the clamp - only the inner cores fit. - hence the prospect of clamping just the 3 cores of the 3 Core flex..

Haven't got the IEE On-site Guide to hand, but can't you use 1mm2 for 5A? And what are you wiring into 5A plugs in PVC flex?

The 1.5mm2 cable is already in place, and is certianly worth keeping as there are plans to up to 15amp sockets. We just haven't got as far as the budgeting for this and all the knock on effects (eg new plugs on lights, and rewiring patch bays that were all planned for the same time).

The basic problem is that what we had hoped would survive another year won't really. The bars are cabled with 1.5mm2 cable, but fitted with 5amp sockets. The cable won't fit into the cable clamps of these particular sockets as it is just plain too big.

We are now exploring how how many of our 15amp sockets we can recycle round into immediate use and what is our best way forward.

Fun - especially when those with the purse string/decision making powers are away over the summer!

This is making the best of a bad job.

The venue has two areas both fitted with home-made IWB's with the cable run through holes in the bar to hanging sockets. there are no grometts or strain reliefs on the cables which are terminated in trailing sockets.

One area uses 1.5mm PVC three core to the trailing sockets.

The other uses 1.5mm twin and earth to the trailing sockets.

I would have thought that the whole lot needs replacing with something safe but they have no money to change at the moment. Beccause the cables used are too big for the strain reliefs on 5A sockets they arent. I had one bolw up - short out in my hands for this reason when I was riggin for a show a while ago here, This is why I have an interest in getting them to make it safer.

EDIT:

OK I was typing this whilst john was also typing his reply DOH

first show I got paid for - "Puss in boots" at Hornsey Town Hall starring Geofrey from Rainbow.(1983) I spent the money on my first sony walkman - £50 smackers - half a weeks wages.

latest show "Granny and the Gorilla" at the open air theatre regents park.

Is there a theme there? other animalistic titles I have been involved with: "The Beast of Exmoor and Other Tails", "It came from... Under the Earth" (what we never found out, but something bestial no doubt), "Christmas Cat and the Pudding Pirates"...."The Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast" (NOT, I repeat NOT the disney version. I do have scruples. "The Firebird", etc etc.

Archived