First Show...last Show

To continue a convesation I was having earlier in the pub...

What was your First Show?

What was your Last Show?

Which one did you enjoy the most?

My 1st show was a amature Musical called Dazzle Star

My latest show is a double bill of Shakespeare (Midsummers and dick 3)

No doubt about it I loved the terrible musical in 1984

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Show: Mother Goose, Pantomime

Last Show: Junior & Mini Concert...Songs from the Shows

Most Enjoyable of the two: Neither actually (my main roll on the latest show was to teach the Board Op, and then babysit him)

Most Enjoyable ever: Musical "Dazzle" (not the same as Dazzle Star) - performed by the Junior and Mini group, in 2001. Cheesy mirror ball effects, a "video monitor" gause effect (window cut in flat with gause attached, backlit to give "Star Treck" style TV monitor) designed by yours truely....and I was the DSM.

First show : (Amateur) Some Charity Gig ?! (Professional) Cinderella, Bournemouth (2002)

Most Recent Show : Noddy.

Most Enjoyed Show : Either Grease (as LD) or As You Like It (due to a most humourous event involving a member of the audience...)

Stu

Oooh,

First show period - "The ""No"" Inkeeper" - @ age of 4? for Nursery school

First on a proper stage "Mouse from amsterdam" @ age 8? for Scout Gang Show

First full LX design (as oposed to something whipped together on the back of an envelope...) Guys and Dolls @ age 18? for School

First paid LX show, BBC Radio 4's "The Now Show"? @ age 19?

Last show???

Sound - Soul in the City Launch, South West London region.

LX - "Hamlet" Banstead County Junior School.

(Last Paid LX show - "The Glory Of My Crown" a Golden Jubilee pagent for Banstead Arts Festival)

Favourite? don't know, could be the Musical of "Cold Comfort Farm" by the University Of Lonon Opera Group.

(Though nothing has been as easy as the Radio 4 Gigs for a while)

First show: College production of "Mary Barnes" being an enourmously keen asst lx.

Current show: SYT production of "Our Town" being an enormously cynical resident asst lx! ;)

Favourite show: It's very difficult to pick just one, isn't it? Probably Vanishing Point's "Invisible Man". An hour long play, no spoken word, plenty of cues, good fun company, and we toured it to corsica and brittany. Lovely stuff! (But actually, I think I'd still rate any pyro show I've worked on as even better!) :D

in the theatre...

First: Midsummers Nights Dream (school lx at 13)

Last: London Community Gospel Choir (lx)

Most Enjoyed: difficult but proably Mugenkyo

but different answers for TV.

First paid LX show, BBC Radio 4's "The Now Show"? @ age 19?

Eh?

???

It was recorded in the theatre I worked at on stage in from of a live audience.

Hence some lights were required. :D

(Well it was possibly my first)

First show - The Hunting of the Snark.

Last show - A Musical Evening - all sorts of music and dancing and stuff!

Most enjoyed - funnily enough The Hunting of the Snark - not only was I light op, but I did a fair share of the set design/construction too - absolutely great! Has anyone else constructed for this particular set in the past?

Regards,

Rich.

My first experiance of a show was at the tender age of 12 when I wanted to help with the school Dance show (doing anything just to be helpful)

Turns out that the board op was ill so I was pushed in at the deep end. I thought that this would be easy, because of modern light boards (well 1998) but infact turned out to be a Furse 36 way manual 2 preset desk. Oh the fun.

The last show I did, was a show called Arts Fever (combination of Dance, Drama, and Music) I had full responsibility over everything technical, and even had quite a meaty budget to play with.

I enjoyed the last show more, because it was all mine. All my ideas, contacts, equipment etc. At the end of the day it looked bloody marvelous.

Hmmmm

First show I did was an amatuer caberet night, on a setup that was considerably older than I was at the time! It consisted of a series of switches between fully on, off or a 240V potentiometer! Not long after that we vacumed out the inside of the "faders" and all the insulation disappeared. Another 6 months after that I got electric shocks off the casing that the switches were mounted on. Strangely enough no one would touch it after that and so it was replaced with much nicer stuff!

Last lighting I did was for a group of (good) amateurs singing a selection of songs, in a cafe style setup in the small studio space. So nice and straightforward.

Last big show I did was Ben Hur, at the same place. However they did it (chariot races, fights, shipwreaks and all) in a corridor down the centre of the same small venue. Fine except for the lack of lights, shortage of lines up to the bars and the rewiring of various control cables on the afternoon of the first performance to allow the borrowed desk to work with our setup!

At least I get the summer break to try and sort out a little of the wiring - otherwise James might more comments about the state of it!

(Edit - Dimmers mentioned in the first part were not Junior 8's but some other lash-up arrangement, but not too disimilar! If anyone has an real want for a Junior 8 I know where one can be found.....)

first show:

the minotaur show - ran lighting on 6? ways of rotary pots. great show, great songs, poor cast.

last show;

The Lysistrate - great show put on by a-level mates. fun.

best show - a rock show last show - good sized budget, great toys, kickass music, what fun - all manual.

At least I get the summer break to try and sort out a little of the wiring - otherwise James might more comments about the state of it!

Look - I've said I'll come in on Wed + Thu to lend a hand. :D

Oh and on that subject does anyone know

(A) a recognised safe way of clamping 1.5mm PVC into 5A trailing sockets (AFAIK the cable grips are too small for the outer jacket) - Is the only way to clamp on the three shielded cores and isa this safe)

or alternitavly

(B)Does anyone have some old free (haha) cheep 15A trailing sockets that could be used instead to make this place safe (24 needed??)

(Sorry John - You know what I mean! ;) )

(A) a recognised safe way of clamping 1.5mm PVC into 5A trailing sockets (AFAIK the cable grips are too small for the outer jacket)

Not sure eaxctly what you're asking - surely you're not tailing PVC singles into a 5A plug? As for 3 core cable, I'd be surprised that 1.5mm2 has too small an outside diameter to be properly clamped? Or maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick...

robloxley,

I't's not singles that is being clamped but 3 core

and It's not a case of 1.5mm2 being too small to be clamped - it's too large for the outer PVC coating to fit in the clamp - only the inner cores fit. - hence the prospect of clamping just the 3 cores of the 3 Core flex..

:D

Archived