lite deck stacking

Hello all 

Random question and we think its probably a no but can't hurt to ask the experts. 

We are looking to make a pyramid shape out of lite deck and wanted to know if we could stack lite deck (with legs) on top of other deck to create this whilst also having steps. 

So it would be three 8 by 4s along the bottom, two 8 by 4s on the second row and then one 8 by 4 on the top. Obviously all would be secured etc however we're not sure how to work out the weight distribution for this and whether it would be okay. 

Thanks in advance 

Em 

What's happening on the deck once it's built into this pyramid?

A single actor is a very different proposition from a crowd of dancers...

If the overlap isn't crucial you may be easiest having each deck standing on four legs, then apply suitable bracing etc. to hold the whole lot together. 

More questions:

How high would the top deck be?

You say steps - do you mean you'd add steps to get from one deck to the next?

How do you plan to secure the deck legs to the one below? Kee Klamp end sockets are good for this (but take care to ensure you don't screw thru the aluminium frame!)

If there's a significant height between the decks, you'd probably need additional bracing depending on what that height would be.

If it IS significantly high have you assessed the risk of falls from that height and mitigated that risk with specific talent/crew training and/or barriers to prevent issues?

Definitely not a no. In fact my old friends Alistage decking is designed so that it can be stacked just as you suggest. See the second photo HERE. As Stuart says the loading is the key and dynamic human loads are many times worse than static or even rolling loads. 

Of course the level of expertise of the builder counts for a lot as does the knowledge about cross-bracing, height of leg and a few other things. So you really need to give more detail starting with filling in your profile a bit more, we tend to be more careful in advising students and newbies. Meanwhile, welcome to BR Emily.

13 hours ago, Ynot said:

How do you plan to secure the deck legs to the one below? Kee Klamp end sockets are good for this (but take care to ensure you don't screw thru the aluminium frame!)

https://stagedepot.co.uk/rigging-install-staging/staging/stage-accessories/global-truss-stage-deck-leg-bracket

These sort of brackets are available for Global deck. I've got a handful and they seem to work well. The big advantage is that they don't require any fixings into the surface of the deck. For the OP there's perhaps not the flexibility available with placement. 

If this pyramid is being built and de-rigged regularly (e.g. for a tour) I'd be trying to get something like this fabricated to reduce some of the hassle. It's overkill for a one-off though. 

Posted (edited)

I've got a bit lost in this.

First I declare I've had only a little experience with decking and those 3 or 4 events were 20+ years ago.

I'm making assumptions (yes I know how silly that is) that Estring is trying to erect a set of steps 24ft long by 4ft deep with a top central platform 8x4ft and 2 steps each side of 4x4ft.

Why are we not suggesting one 8x4 and four 4x4 decks and 5 sets of legs to suit. At this point I'll confirm I don't know how that lot should be locked together but I feel scaf bars across the legs could be fair starting point.

image.thumb.png.9d59f7578fe1e4377c1bdbf3f0efda44.png

Please holler if I'm way off the mark - it's not my bag.

Edited by sunray

17 hours ago, sunray said:

I've got a bit lost in this.

First I declare I've had only a little experience with decking and those 3 or 4 events were 20+ years ago.

I'm making assumptions (yes I know how silly that is) that Estring is trying to erect a set of steps 24ft long by 4ft deep with a top central platform 8x4ft and 2 steps each side of 4x4ft.

Why are we not suggesting one 8x4 and four 4x4 decks and 5 sets of legs to suit. At this point I'll confirm I don't know how that lot should be locked together but I feel scaf bars across the legs could be fair starting point.

image.thumb.png.9d59f7578fe1e4377c1bdbf3f0efda44.png

Please holler if I'm way off the mark - it's not my bag.

Or perhaps 12ft long by 8ft deep but all that changes is the use of 8x2ft decks.