Solder for 25w iron.

Hi,

I am having problems with my new 25w soldering iron the solder will just not melt. However the iron is fine it gets hot and melts old solder on connections. I decided the solder I brought was wrong (even though it was on the related items bit of the RS page) so brought some pretty standard 60/40 5core solder and still it won’t melt it. What is the solder I should used with this sort of iron. I have never had a problem with my irons before I just have never had a 25w antex one before but I wouldn’t have thought this would make a difference standard solder should melt easily.

Sorry this is such a stupid and simple question but it really has me baffled why a perfectly good iron which melt solder will not melt new solder. What solder do people recommend?

Thanks in advanced,

What's the RS part number for the solder?

It may be you've bought lead-free which won't melt at normal temperatures.

Yes indeed the first lot I brought was lead free I used it and realise I had brought the wrong stuff when I looked at the package (RS 185-004) it was late when I ordered though so I ordered some 60/40 tin/lead alloy solder and it still won't melt properly... stock code RS 567-856.

Sorry this is such a stupid and simple question but it really has me baffled why a perfectly good iron which melt solder will not melt new solder. What solder do people recommend?

Thanks in advanced,

First off don`t aggresively file an Antex bit, they`re iron clad copper, heavy filing will remove the cladding and they will eat away fast from flux corrosion.

Some Wellers and lot of cheaper irons use solid copper bits which you can file.

Whats happened is that with a new Antex bit you need to tin it as it heats for the first time, letting it get to full temp before tinning will leave a layer on it that makes it hard to use.

Clean it off cold with gentle filing or some fine emery paper.

Once clean touch the iron with fresh solder as it heats, this will tin it.

When soldering uses a damp spnge or paper towel to clean the tip frequently when soldering.

HTH

Oh right I didn't realise, I have used both a fine point and a medium chisel tip and both have well become very dirty from the solder sponge I tried to use with them. I have never owned a iron from new always borrowed, got given or used one wherever I am working. So should I just clean of these tip slightly can and then heat them up with the solder touching the end not just heat it right up and try and use it?

Thanks for your help,

DON'T FILE YOUR SOLDERING IRON TIP!

As suggested above - clean it, with emery cloth if necessary, or something less abrasive if possible.

Use a damp sponge when soldering to clean the tip regularly - and if you can use distilled water too, as all the rubbish will build up on the tip otherwise. Soldering itself releases the flux which sticks to the tip, and the tip oxidises, becoming a poor conductor of heat, causing the problem you describe.

You can buy a tip cleaner from places like RS which will go some way to help, but by the time you've gone down this route, you're probably already on a slippery slope...

Don't leave your Iron on unused for extended periods either, as the remaining solder on the tip, and the acidic flux will not do it any favours either.

Yes but this is a brand new tip and iron so the above can't be right as these are clean new tips an I don’t think filing will hep, but I presume that the bit about having to tin the tip slowly for the first time is right and it makes sense so this is what I will do tomorrow. It is weird I have been using soldering irons for year but never had a brand new one or a new tip. Thanks guys,

From www.antex.co.uk under FAQs:

"Why might a soldering bit fail to tin properly, either from new or in use ?

As a new bit heats up a layer of oxide will form on the surface, this will make tinning very difficult. This can be prevented by tinning as the bit is warming up. The oxide can usually be removed from a COLD bit by GENTLE use of "Scotchbrite".

If the bit will still not tin try using Multicore Tip Tinner & Cleaner. Use only as a last resort at its aggressive nature will shorten bit life."

Antex make great irons ;-)

Edited to add , much prefer www.rapidelectronics.co.ukown brand solder over Multicore, personal thing.

Higher temp lead free solders are going to be a lot more common soon, so a higher temp iron might be handy sometime.

I agree! Never, ever use a file to clean your tip! It will go as pock-marked as the moon in no time. Keep it nice and clean (ooer missus!). The amount of times in the past I have seen a sad little piece of dried up sponge that looks like a little piece of toast.

The sponge is your friend! :D

In more years of soldering than I care to remember I have NEVER had to file a tip.

Stuck onto my irons transformer I have a little pot of 'Tip Tinner/Cleaner TTC1' made by Multicore, available from RS/Farnell.

Archived