Solder for 25w iron.

I also agree, never file an Antex soldering iron bit!! In fact, some tips have a shallow dip in them to collect solder (for "flowing" solder on IC legs) and these must not be filed either as it ruins the tip!

I use an XS myself with lead free with no problem at all (Tin-Copper alloy with Rosin flux). I also have a temperature controlled station for surface mount work. I would always use a much lower power iron or temperature controlled iron for anything electronic (the XS25 is great for XLR, jack etc..., etc…).

The power of the iron does not tell you the temperature. It gives you an idea of the size of joint it will solder and how quickly it would recover from making a joint (heat is zapped out of the iron when you use it to make a joint). Also, the smaller the tip, the less contact with the surfaces being soldered. Use a tip that is the correct size for the joint being made.

One problem I have had with Antex is that the tip needs to be pushed fully onto the “stalk†otherwise the tip might not heat up (I have also had to replace an element because of this in the past when the iron overheated).

There is a guide about soldering online: EPE Soldering Guide

I always do the following: 1. Wipe the tip on the sponge when removing it from the stand. 2. Add a dab of solder before putting it back in the stand. It becomes habit after time and I have found the tips last longer this way. I now don't ever clean my tips using anything other than a moist sponge.

Hope this helps,

Lyn

Archived