Martin Xciter Console. Seeking programming advice.......

partyanimallighting

Hi all, I'm seeking some advice regarding programming on a Martin Xciter. I stopped using this console when XP became obsolete and I could not backup/upload shows anymore but I really love the features that the unit offered. I'm seriously thinking about dusting off the console again and putting it back in use so I'm just seeking someone with more knowledge that me programming wise who has some time to spare to offer me some tips/tricks that I don't know about. Any offers?

On the Martin website you can still download the PC software for this - I haven't tried it personally but it may still run in compatibility mode allowing you to link to PC?

I do not know anything about programming lighting on the controller though. It was a DJ-type controller and most people here do theatre/events .

Hi timsabre, I downloaded the software  years ago and have it backed up but it's only compatible with Windows XP. I have never been able to get the it to function with any Windows OS from Windows 7 up through to Windows 11 but If I could actually get the software to function I could continue to use the console because I always found it to be a very powerful unit despite being only one universe. Based on what you said I decided to check on the website (hoping for an updated software version)  but could find no link to the Xciter software.

Go here and type "xciter" into the search box

https://www.martin.com/en/support_downloads/download_types/software

Software download is 10th on the list for me.

If (having installed the software) you right click on the exe file and select "Properties" then the "compatibility" tab you can select to run it as XP or "run compatibility troubleshooter". This may or may not help depending on what the problem is.

Alternatively you can fairly easily make a Windows XP virtual machine on a current Windows machine using these instructions:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-set-up-windows-xp-emulator-for-windows-10-4772549

Not much help for a Win user, but have the app running on Linux using WINE. Not able to test the drivers for the hardware obviously. 

Apols for the photo. Not logged into BR on this machine. 

My Virtual Box has Tiny10 on it in case I ever need a Win machine. Not that I ever do tbh. The headline in the link said 'emulator' so I assumed something other than just creating a VM to be honest. 

IMG_20231206_160707_813.jpg

Edited by indyld

9 minutes ago, timsabre said:

Interesting, I think it'll be the USB drivers that are the problem if anything is...

Possibly, I guess it depends on the libraries used but in general Linux does a lot better on libs than anything else including those for USB devices if using standard stuff. Of course, if creators will insist on relying on MS so heavily (thanks Avo), things get tricky and knowing Martin of this era I can imagine this may be the case.

However, with WINE it can often just be a case of finding the drivers and installing them on the virtual drive.

Edited by indyld

If (having installed the software) you right click on the exe file and select "Properties" then the "compatibility" tab you can select to run it as XP or "run compatibility troubleshooter". This may or may not help depending on what the problem is.

As well as xp compatibility mode you may need to run  it as admin.its somewhere in the same right click menu.

• Upvote 1

OK guys, I pulled the Xciter out of the warehouse so I'm trying to try to get the software functional on Windows 11. timsabre, I've tried the compatibility troubleshooter (and lots of times in the past also) and still no install. Which points me towards the Windows XP Virtual Machine installed with VirtualBox. indyld, I do get the same window when I start the software but during the actual installation of the software (in compatibility mode) I get an exe install error so the software doesn't function. Now onto my questions about the VirtualBox install. I am of course very concerned about a possible crash/data loss with trying to run a "virtual" OS independently. I searched deep into the bowels of an old software CD folder and found an XP installation disc, loaded it into an oooolllddd HP laptop with a CD drive and copied the CD contents to a USB flash drive for installation via VirtualBox. I then downloaded VirtualBox 7.0.12 (Windows hosts link) but I stopped the install based on two windows that came up and I would like confirmation for you guys before I proceed.

Window 1: WARNING! Network Interfaces

Window 2: MISSING DEPENDENCIES PYTHON CORE /win32api

Now I fully understand that the VirtualBox will run XP completely independent of the Windows 11 OS in it's own little partition on the hard drive but I have to ask............. Is it safe to ignore these two warnings and proceed?

I think both these warnings / errors are common to some VB installation processes but not ones I've ever had. You'll probably find lots of information on them in a Google search. Virtual Box is nothing special, it just allows you to run another operating system in magic wrapper, in effect creating another computer sitting on top of your main OS. If you want to find the data within, just navigate to the directory where the VM resides.

My Xciter app running under WINE with some XP settings just seemed to function, other than the fact that I don't have any hardware to test it. None of this is of much consequence to you really, I just wanted to see if I could get it running on a Linux machine as I don't have any Windows boxes.

Edited by indyld

OK guys, I pulled the Xciter out of the warehouse and I tried installing XP via VirtualBox with no luck. I am not one to go mucking around loading software I have no knowledge of and I certainly don't want a(nother) crashed laptop on my hands. I installed VirtualBox and ignored the two warning windows (WARNING: Network interfaces and MISSING DEPENDENCIES PYTHON CORE/win32api). I created a virtual folder XciterXP and all seemed to be going well with the install but when I tried to install XP from the USB drive copied from the bootable XP CD drive, VirtualBox would not initialize the installation and apparently could not recognize the setup.exe file to start the installation. On Google checking the two error messages, it seems that I can ignore the first one (Network interfaces) but a couple sites did state that Python should be installed before VirtualBox. So I'm hoping to get some feedback on this before I proceed. I do have that oooolllldddd HP laptop (Windows 7) which I can wipe completely and install XP and use this solely for the Xciter software but 1, it's an old laptop. 2, it's heavy/bulky. 3. Why have to revert to a second (obsolete) laptop when I could have the Xciter software running off my existing laptop. I do also have a MacBook but I absolutely abhor that OS and would rather stay away from using anything with an Apple logo for anything at all but.......should I give the Mac a try to see if the software works?