Opinion on Channel Numbering

Bryson

I have a project that has a double-sided stage.  It's a school, so they have an auditorium on one side of the stage, and a drama classroom on the other side.  There's a proscenium arch on both sides.   Each side has its own console.  I have a toplight wash on that stage, and I'm debating the channel numbering for that wash.  

ie:  The way I would normally do it is number SR-SL, DS-US, so my toplight would be 21DSR, 22DSC, 23DSL, 24SR, 25C, 26SL, 27USR, 28USC, 29USL for example.  The question is, when using the console on the other side should I renumber the fixtures so they go in reverse order, (so 21 is DSR from that perspective) or keep the channel numbers the same (so 21 is USL)?  I can construct arguments for both approaches.  Which is less likely to confuse, in your opinion?

Interesting sounding layout. On the (possibly wrong) assumption that the heaviest use (& the greatest need for consistentcy) is on the classroom side, I think I might leave that side patched 1:1, but patch the other desk so that the channels run from SR-SL & DS-US on that side as well.

I upgraded lighting in such a school, Auditorium side was standard proc and velvet curtains, class side being bi-fold doors.

2 Showtech 48 style consoles. top row of faders being for lights dedicated to that side,  bottom row; exactly as Sandall says except we elected auditorium 1:1 and classroom patched opposite. The only critical part being the physical location of the devices on the DMX network.

Changeover being a very ordinary DPDT toggle to switch between side specific DAs

image.png.10d7fba438562129b32c55d42453e9fc.png

This was fitted around 2003 and definitely still very close to 'as fitted' in 2017 but I haven't been back there since.

I think if fixtures are in a grid-like formation, I’d be more likely to think in terms of the light’s position relevant to my current perspective (SR-SL, DS-US) than the specific physical fixture. Therefore, I would number them from the perspective of each console.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jonhole said:

I think if fixtures are in a grid-like formation, I’d be more likely to think in terms of the light’s position relevant to my current perspective (SR-SL, DS-US) than the specific physical fixture. Therefore, I would number them from the perspective of each console.

From the perspective of one and patch the other.