Wireless audio transmitter

IA76

Hi

We wish to take audio from one of the outputs of our X32 mixer and feed it in to a DSLR camera via a wireless connection. What would you suggest we use to achieve this that has as low latency as possible and doesn't require external power?

Disntance from mixer to camera is about 10m but we don't want to use a cable.

Would something like this work if I plug the tx in to the x32 and on the rx side use a xlr to 3.5mm jack converter in to the camera?

Edited by IA76

I'll leave it to someone with more experience to sugest a better way, but I dont think the linked device will work.

There is a huge difference in signal levels between a dynamic moving coil microphone and the output of a mixingdesk.

I'm pretty sure the desk would swamp the transmitter even with the gain turned way down.

I resisted responding earlier as have zero experience of an X32. Please don't take this as fact, but I know someone who uses an X18 with a wireless access point attached to which he connects at least two devices including I thought wireless headphones. I think it's aimed primarily at providing mobile control of the desk, but if the feature is available on the X32, it may just be a case of getting a suitable access point, attaching the camera to the network and routing output to it. There must be X32 users here who can help with this, or tell me I am talking out of the wrong orifice. 

20 minutes ago, Robin D said:

I resisted responding earlier as have zero experience of an X32. Please don't take this as fact, but I know someone who uses an X18 with a wireless access point attached to which he connects at least two devices including I thought wireless headphones. I think it's aimed primarily at providing mobile control of the desk, but if the feature is available on the X32, it may just be a case of getting a suitable access point, attaching the camera to the network and routing output to it. There must be X32 users here who can help with this, or tell me I am talking out of the wrong orifice. 

No, you cannot get wireless headphones over wifi with X32 (or any of the Behringer mixers). If they have wireless headphones they must be using a separate system for that.

I would be looking at one of the ENG wireless mic systems which are designed for exactly this. The original linked device might work, although it is designed for a mic input it says "Max input signal 500mV" which is line level so it should be OK. It will (obviously) be mono.

Thomann's cheap IEM system should be ok for this task
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.bone_iem_75.htm

Edited by timsabre
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies. I just found out we have a Rode Go kit that I can test with. Will connect the TX to an X32 output and the RX to the DSLR and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Dave m said:

Why do you want to do it? is it for a live relay or recording?

The x32 can record to a USB and you could synch in post?

haven’t used one in a while though.

Live recording

• Upvote 1

Some of my recordings I take a feed from a house desk to a recorder but many of my recordings I do using the built in mics as a guide only. Then sync a desk recording in post. (Or do both) 

I have  a terrible distrust of wireless because if it goes down it goes south really quickly.

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2023 at 5:54 PM, Dave m said:

Some of my recordings I take a feed from a house desk to a recorder but many of my recordings I do using the built in mics as a guide only. Then sync a desk recording in post. (Or do both) 

I have  a terrible distrust of wireless because if it goes down it goes south really quickly.

Isn't the audio support on most DSLRs rudimentary at best? I've never owned a DSLR which would shoot video, but I seem to remember reading that audio input is unbalanced microphone level only (so another challenge to match levels with IEMs which will have much higher output levels), and automatic gain control only - so no way to set a fixed recording level. Add in the limited sound quality of the analogue FM wireless link and I would only ever be thinking of this as a guide track (in which case, do you need to get the signal there at all, or will the built in mics be enough?).

Tascam do a recorder specifically for DSLs. I have used a fair few “40’s” which are similar to a Zoom. But the DSLR one is about £150-175 and better aimed at DSLRs. 

But if the X32 can do a 48k usb recording it should be simple to sync

I’ve never played with a DSLR seriously, other than a few short takes. I do long form. Do DSLRs still shut off after 20 mins?

You used to be able to crack a Canon with Magic Lantern

• 5 weeks later...

Just to update this the method of plugging the Rode Go transmitter in to the mixer XLR oputput an and the receiver in to the camera worked fine after adjusting the levels on the output & camera. The camera is getting nice clean audio with no cables across the floor.