AES50 cable specifics

sleah

I've recently purchased an X32 and two stage boxes for my workplace. I need to get some additional infrastructure cabling installed to enable use of the stage boxes. Unfortunately the current infrastructure is all CAT6 UTP. Running temporary cables isn't an option.

The spec for AES50 is screened, however I haven't come up with a definitive answer as to the exact type, and if it matters. What I'm referring to is that screened cables can be STP, FTP, S/FTP, U/FTP and so on. It may be just the overall foil wrap is fine, but don't want to put the wrong stuff in....

I'm also assuming CAT5e screened will be find, as CAT7a S/FTP screened gets expensive!

4 hours ago, timsabre said:

We have had loads of interference troubles using utp, and also stp where the metal screen of the ethercons wasn't continuous - dropouts and clicks/bangs on the audio. You may get away with utp or you may not. 

A friend used a digital mixer for a while with UTP without issues until one day...

That sort of thing catches us at some stage, like the guy who always used unsheathed red/black twisted from Woolworths for his microphones.

• Funny 1

Thanks for the thoughts, and after more research I'm happy finding the right cable 🙂

Next question!

Ethercon. They should be used and opinion seems to be there should be continuity shell to shell, which seems reasonable. Looking at availability of both shells and outlets, there are the black versions, which make me wonder of they would be suitable as surely the black coating would prevent or reduce continuity?

Many made up (black shelled) patch leads are available claiming compatibility with AES50 (and probably work fine most of the time), but I wonder if it would be better to always use bare-metal shells and outlets?

I'm planning on using the silver connectors anyway but interested in experience / opinions.

20 hours ago, timsabre said:

The black ones I've seen (as with black XLRs) are black anodized rather than painted, this is electrically conducting still. 

Anodising used to be quoted as, and was/is, insulating. Structures such as greenhouses requiring bonding were a right PITA. 

A batch of aluminium bussbars delivered to site had to be rejected due to the non conductive anodising which prevented them being jointed.

However I've not had any dealings with the plugs mentioned so unable to pass comment on those.

Edited by sunray