Venue wider than it is deep

richardash1981

10 hours ago, bruce said:

But this "Dick Turpin" style of presentation (where you "stand and deliver") can't be the most effective way of getting a message across. 

The phrase I used when having to expound on the latest thinking in Pedagogy was, "Lecturing is the lowest form of teaching and learning"...

21 hours ago, sunray said:

In my experience rectangular horns are very different to columns and usually not in situations where I've noted lack of coverage.

I have several HBD12s, used them for "budget" events, where both coverage & throw tend to be more than adequate, but my first experience of outdoor horns was big EV (very) rectangular horns, where vertical mounting gave a noticeably wider spread.

Returning to topic - it sounds like you have plenty of scope to mount speakers where you want, Richard, so a centre-cluster is probably your best bet.

Re Jon's last post - for my last 2 church jobs I retained the existing pair of Philips columns, which were still fine, & added a couple of full-range speakers below them for music. Stereo in both cases, but maybe I should have stuck to mono? 

12 hours ago, Simon Lewis said:

The phrase I used when having to expound on the latest thinking in Pedagogy was, "Lecturing is the lowest form of teaching and learning"...

😃

”lecturing is the transferral of the lecturer’s notes to the student’s notebook without it being processed by the brain of either….”

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sandall said:

I have several HBD12s, used them for "budget" events, where both coverage & throw tend to be more than adequate, but my first experience of outdoor horns was big EV (very) rectangular horns, where vertical mounting gave a noticeably wider spread.

I'm aware of 2 EV horns (other than the HF units for cabinets):

the metal about 3ft x 1ft x 54" long with the standard 1 3/8 thread (brass) for pressure unit, made in thin sheet steel. Someone said they were designed for use on emergency public announcement vehicles and popular on polling day. We had 2 but being single piece construction took up too much space in the van and rarely used them, exceptionally wide dispersion approaching 180° but not amazing projection. Never occurred to me to try vertical so can't comment.

The other being something like 3ft square (but yes rectangular) with a red label middle on longer edge. Thing about those is the major curve was in the the long side and the shorter side was almost flat, something like this:  image.png.cf4f3c0e51b87ea417b2819635e43892.pngDoes this make sense?

Typically used in large venues such as Stadiums and usually contained within a plywood enclosure (Possibly always?) more like a frame than box. The wider dispersion will be on the bigger curve so yes mounted vertical.

I didn't think about this style in my original comment.

15 hours ago, sandall said:

Stereo in both cases, but maybe I should have stuck to mono? 

I use the very simple assessment: image.thumb.png.2e1da18fa17e73580b1c66dd363eb352.png

EDIT:

Thought I'd try to find an image:

EV HP6040 horn from Wembley arena  | eBay

Edited by sunray

(Still somewhat off-topic, but...) The EV horns I used were similar to your metal ones, but with curved ends & made of GRP.

Re the flow-chart - if you're showing feature-film DVDs (which one of "my" churches does) then it needs to be stereo, but even if it's all "yesses" a small worship band should probably still be mixed down to mono.

11 hours ago, sandall said:

(Still somewhat off-topic, but...) The EV horns I used were similar to your metal ones, but with curved ends & made of GRP.

Can't quote knowledge of them, as a very general rule the side with the biggest curve has the greatest dispersion and that tends to be the longest sides.

11 hours ago, sandall said:

Re the flow-chart - if you're showing feature-film DVDs (which one of "my" churches does) then it needs to be stereo, but even if it's all "yesses" a small worship band should probably still be mixed down to mono.

Yes of course.

I meant to say before, thank you for explaining the logic behind having two different sound systems in the same room - I had always assumed when I saw it that this was a case of two different installers not wanting to touch each other's kit! Glad to hear there is more rationale than that to it (at least if done properly with a matrix - I recall one hall where there was no connection between the systems, and the induction loop wasn't connected to either - it was fed from microphones on the front wall!).

1 minute ago, richardash1981 said:

The induction loop wasn't connected to either - it was fed from microphones on the front wall!).

A school near me had a loop system arranged like this. Problems arose when an incoming production put a stack of D&B C7 directly in front of the loop microphones. 

The loop amp seemed to be kept permanently turned on, and the analogue multicore had been laid directly beside the induction loop cable for most of its run. 

Instant feedback through the PA, at quite exciting levels.