Workbench DC Power Supply Project.....sounds feasible?

partyanimallighting

Hey all, I've put a Molex terminal on the new rotary 50K and metered it disconnected from the buck converter. On the new rotary pot I'm getting 2.2 ~ 50K across pins 1 and 2, a constant 50K across pins 1 and 3 and 50K across pins 2 and 3 and a reading of 2.2 with the probes reversed. The original 3296 is giving me basically the same readings 2.2 ~ 50K across pins 1 and 2, a constant 50K across pins 1 and 3 but 50K across 2 and 3 with the probes normal and reversed. It seems that the pots (both original and new) seem to be fine but when either one is connected to the buck converter there is no voltage adjustment at the output. Maybe I've damaged the solder points when I removed the 3296 to install the 3 pin Molex? I doubt that because I'm getting continuity at the pins to the relevant solder traces. Two are bridged at the solder point itself (pins 2 and 3) and pin 1 feeds a small 8 pin IC below the converter. I was even considering removing the Molex pins and resoldering the 3296 back onto the buck converter but the attached Molex connector is basically the same as resoldering it back in place. I have more of these converters lying around but I thought it best to seek some advice from you guys before I "destroy" another one.

DC to DC Buck Converter MOD. 004.jpg

DC to DC Buck Converter MOD. 005.jpg

DC to DC Buck Converter MOD. 006.jpg

DC to DC Buck Converter MOD. 007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the 2/3's of the way semi-completed power supply. The empty rectangular hole on the right side is for the missing meter for variable voltage output and the hole below this is for the 50K rotary pot to adjust that voltage. The 15A 12VDC power supply is visible through the hole for the meter and the 24VDC power supply is mounted (on 7CM spacers) below the 12VDC power supply. I've basically stalled however because I haven't resolved the problem with getting the DC to DC buck transformer to function when the 3296 was replaced with the 50K pot but I had no choice but to assemble as is as I needed to have DC voltage available for testing. If only I could get that 50K pot issue sorted out.........

20230806_064844.jpg