Tower for small Line array

Bad_Rock

Hi all. I need to hang 8 nexo's Geo 805 line array system and I need a proper tower.

Each box weights only 10kg so I believe that I wont need big structures. I choosed this system cus its super light and I can carry it on my own van. I wish there was a tower that can fit in my truck too. In a close future ( probably 1 year or some ) I will add 4 more boxes per side and after that I will add some more till I get 16 per side I want my tower to survive and be useful with 16 boxes or so.

About height I think that 8mts will be fine.

I appreciate your help.

Have a look at SSE Skyhook or Teepee

http://www.sse-hire.com/images/crowd.jpg

or Prolyte make a series of different towers:

from

http://www.prolyte.com/content/products/towers/img/towers_imgH30V.jpg

to

http://www.prolyte.com/content/products/towers/img/towers_imgb100rv.jpg

Bear in mind that even if an individual box weighs only 10kg, when it's dropped from 8m, it will still kill most carbon based lifeforms....

Also, there are great variations in deployment indoors and outdoors. For example, Some types of Genie hoist are popular for lifting truss and speakers indoors, but they are not designed for this task outdoors. Consequently, one or two have fallen over. This is not good for your reputation, or your public liability insurance ;-)

Simon

Something smaller/cheaper?

If you a) want to lift to 8m and b) want to use it outside, then any lifting kit needs to have sufficient stability to withstand windload etc. The products mentioned above meet these needs, and the Teepee system is designed to be relatively low cost. I'm not to sure how you are going to achieve the stated height with the required level of safety otherwise.

If you only need to lift indoors, something like a Genie Super Tower might fit the bill, with a 7.4m lift height at 295kg capacity. However, (as my back can testify) it weighs 222kg. However, you won't need the lift capacity, and they are not designed for use outdoors (see the story on the PSA website).

Being a regular user of the Prolyte and Teepee structures, I can say that they are great for small LAs. The teepee structure and the smaller Prolyte tower will fit in a Sprinter type van but you certainly won't fit anything else in it.

They are also quite labour intensive to construct. The last time I built a teepee it took 6 people to get it off the floor, the small Prolyte tower needs 5 people (even though the manual says you can do it with 2 - I'd like to see them try) and the larger Prolyte needed more still (plus a motor to lift the arm into place)

I'll se if I can dig out some photos.

Good point I was about to ask you if it's safe to work with clones specially on structures. It looks simpler ( just aluminium and stuff ) but when you see the boxes flying it's when you start thinking " I shielded buy the original one".

Just as a point of reference, the SSE Teepee structures are manufactured by Total Fabrications and are made up from triangular XO components with some special extra fittings.

SSE also have a smaller teepee in stock that is of tubular construction. Less people are needed to put this one up.

http://www.soundbydesign.net/images/events_photos/legoland4.jpg

Thanks for the pic Chappie but I think those are the big line array boxes. One of the reasons I work with the small line it's to have place in my van for them. If I have to buy a big structure I will have to change vehicle too. Also the Nexo one's are some of the smallest and lightest around. I don't wanna think I need such a big structure or do I?

Thanks

I know the boxes shown are bigger than the ones you intend to fly as they are actually our Meyer M2D cabinets. The picture was intended to show you the structure, which is a smaller version of the teepee pictured earlier in this post.

Archived