Advice on small scale backdrop projection

anydm

Hi could anyone please advise on the best option for a backdrop/cyclorama projector for our church drama society. The image size would need to be approx 3m x 5m. The likely throw would be approximately 1m. I admit to having no knowledge or experience in this area so any advice/recommendations would be really appreciate. Our budget is likely to be limited by what we can raise through grants but I would expect it to be no more than £2k - £3k. Thanks in anticipation.

Achieving a 5m wide image on a 1m throw would need a lens ratio of 0.2, which is unusually wide and would require a very very flat surface and precise lineup to work satisfactorily - or would need multiple projectors edge blended.

If you can push that to just shy of 2m throw, you'll start to get more options as there's quite a bit out there with a throw ratio of 0.3-0.4. Realistically, with £2-3k in the pot, you're not going to get much. For a 5m wide image on stage I'd want at least 6000 lumens, preferably 8000. A 0.36 lens might easily cost £2k without the projector attached!

If you can push that throw distance again to 2.5m you'll get to things you can afford, which will likely be a low brightness 'classroom' projector, likely using a curved mirror to achieve the throw ratio, rather than an expensive lens. These require a flat surface that stays still - they're not ideal for projecting onto a drape or soft screen. You might managed a 4000 lumen projector, but probably more likely 3500.

How often do you need this projector? You may do much better hiring, and it'll mean you can stay up to date with the latest developments.

No matter what type of lens, ultra-short throw means you need a still background... The longer the throw, the more forgiving to slight imperfections along the distance plane. 

To be honest, projection is not the answer in most cases for theatre at small scale. Especially if you only have a meter of throw to play with. That implies you may need to be lighting things in very close proximity to your screen surface. Any direct light spill will seriously wash out almost any projection in the sub 4000 lumen range - especially when 'distributed' over a large surface. Ultrashort throw optics are also woefully inefficient.

Thanks for your prompt reply and useful advice. Our problem is that we don’t have much height above the stage so sight lines are poor to loose the projector without it being too low and thus in view. If we were able to push the throw out to 2m and construct a solid white backdrop out of suitable boarding what would your best recommendation be?

Do you NEED projection? Could a mood be set with back/cyc lighting, and costume and music?

The above advice is good. Projection shouldn't be the focus. Done badly, and on the cheap, it will detract.

The performers are the most important thing on stage - light them first and then fill in what you NEED to to get your story across.
Write the scripts so that 'it's obvious' to the audience where the cast are, or what they're feeling etc etc…

Is 5x3 not small scale?

Edited by sunray
Thinking about this, my local church hall has 6x3.5 proc so guess the cyc is 5x3.5 and another church hall I have dealings with is about similar (never measured it). However thing further a village hall may only be 4x2.5 and another may be closer to 3x2.5

Yes I take your point. I've not really been involved with classrooms, most of my video work. has been presentation rooms/ auditorium's where such sizes are commonplace.

One tends to treat that as normal. And the office conference systems sort of felt like a doddle although possibly more difficult due to the decor.

I've seen something like this recently, which was a projector low down, projecting onto a big mirror at the back of the stage, reflecting onto the back of a screen to give about a 6m x 3m backdrop to the show. I think the total depth from the screen to the mirror was about 1.5m.  It was on quite a deep stage and the result was ok for a backdrop.

I have never seen a low budget projection system that did not just look tacky. All your front lights need to really tilt down from a height, but moist church halls tend to have lower than nice FOH angles, so a 1.8m person with their face lit, casts shadows all over the projection. Even people who hire in video walls never get realism, theirs are over bright, very saturated and look pixelated close in. 

Don;t forget the drop in brightness projecting onto anything other than a proper screen. Painting a wall white looks even worse. It's usually just naff - sorry.