Stage Management Question

Hi,

Im currently working on an amateur production of Tennessee William's Glass Menagerie. (as such our budget is small!)

During the final scene a small glass figure is knocked onto the floor and breaks - however only its horn breaks off; the rest of the figure has to remail intact. If anyone could offer advice on how this could be achieved I woudl be most grateful. (its also worth noting that the theatre is a small studio theatre so it will be almost impossible to cheat the breakage)

Thanks

John

PS. also if anyone knows where I might obtain a set of glass animals cheeply this would also be appreciated.

Moderation : unnecessary ALL CAPS topic title corrected to lower case. Would members please note that ALL CAPS posts and topic titles are unwelcome on the BR.

If the figurine is not touched often, get a figurine the right shape and size, break off the horn and then glue it on with a glue stick or some other weak bonding agent.

For glass animals, go to the local oportunity shop. They often get in glass animals. Or if it is a really short season, go to a glass blowers, and ask if you can hire (or borrow and place an add for them in your program) some glass animals. Give them a security deposit and return them at the end of the season. They will look at you as if you are insane, but most will be okay with comming to some sort of arrangement.

Mould the figurine in clear casting resin, using a peelable mould cast from a suitable figure. - Look out children's plaster casting sets and moulds. make several, and several loose horns.

It will help to minimise the drop as most things break when they hit a hard floor hard enough!

Every version I have done or seen have all done one thing just have a resin unicorn so it doesnt break and two just pretend like it has broken off no one in the audiance for 1 cares or doesn not want to belive that it isnt broken so if your actor plays it up and doesnt flaunt the figurine infront of them they will belive it is broken. its supposed to be glass and small about the size of your palm so dont freak out over this just get a small one and just pretend thats the way to do it.

JH

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Thank you for these suggestions some are very helpful, Am still open to other ideas if anyone has them.

Am currently considering having a resin horse with a horn made of plastic lightly glued/tacked to its head..... now where can I find a resin horse........!?

John

Archived