LED Tape

ekul1978

Thanks for the replies.  Thanks for the offer too Tim. Ive got a meeting with the boss today to discuss exactly how many frames and if he wants to do individual pixels or not.  Hopefully have more info soon (fingers crossed).

Poked around at PoE, get up to 20W over reasonable distance passively using all the spare pairs at 12V.

CCTV PoE+ gets to around 60W at distance, affordable switches/injectors.

PoE ++or something gets to near 90W but switches are expensive.

Sometimes a small mains PSU beside item is just easier.

Well the meeting was better than expected.  He only wants full colour frames so no need to go down the individual pixel route.  Still wants 24 different sized frames in total.  Now I'm wondering if anyone has any good options for cheap diffusion?  The number of frames and tape needed wont leave much room for buying the actual proper diffuser.  

They are led lit window frames/pictures frames (tape running on the inside of the frame facing inwards) - just looking for potential diffusers to try and reduce the single dot led look if you know what I mean.  I know I wont be able to get a great look with out buying tape with more leds closer together but just wondered on ideas that may help.

So like a lightbox then with the tape all round?
If you can make the frames with a bit of a reveal round the front so the LEDs are concealed from view, you will make your job easier with the diffusion.

Paint the inside matt white. If you can, give them a reasonable depth (e.g. 60mm) for the light to bounce around in, as it will look more even.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, themadhippy said:

buy a roll of gel.unwrap it and send it back keeping the tissue paper it came wrapped in to use as your diffusion

Funnily enough, while litter-picking our local wood this afternoon I found a perfectly good 8' x 8' Rosco 1/2 silk diffuser (complete with carry-bag), which would have done you nicely🙂.