Passive split one side of a stereo pair line level

TomHoward

I want to passively split one side of a pair of mic pre-amps (2x ISA one) which are sometimes used as a stereo pair.
They usually feed the last two channels of a 24-input card (Motu 24ai) but the a single one (say ch24) also needs to feed a single channel recorder, for doing quick and dirty voiceovers in hardware.

Does it matter to passively split one side, or should I add an isolator? Will it affect the line level enough to be a problem if they are used as a stereo pair?

I'm probably worrying about this too much and it's fine but I don't want to cause a problem as it's relatively high end setup.

I'd suggest using a different mic to avoid the chances of accidentally overhearing.

To split to 2 different places you may 'get away with' simply using a Y split, it's something I've done quite often but also I carry isolating transformers to insert.

If you're doing this with a matched stereo pair I'd treat both in the same way to keep it matched.

Edited by sunray

Thanks, it's got to be the same mic as basically it's how the vocal mic is always set up, the signal just needs splitting.

It's split at line level after the ISA One, I guess spitting line level as you say is practically accepted, but I'm not sure if there'll be enough of a difference to disrupt one side of stereo.

5 hours ago, TomHoward said:

Thanks, it's got to be the same mic as basically it's how the vocal mic is always set up, the signal just needs splitting.

It's split at line level after the ISA One, I guess spitting line level as you say is practically accepted, but I'm not sure if there'll be enough of a difference to disrupt one side of stereo.

Generally speaking I'll agree about the levels but I have had that issue, especially when mixing different types of kit; ie domestic HiFi and pro PA.

I had one where the added input was obviously capacitive and low impedance as the hi frequencies were 'sucked' from the other line.

Not really anwering your question but have you considered a slightly different approach to the problem?

If you have a pair of ISA Ones and a MOTU 24ai, you could feed the Motu from the Adat outputs of each ISA One. This would free up the analogue output of the ISA One to feed your recorder without affecting the matching of the stereo pair.

Cheers,

Peter