Hi All,

I'm a SM for Northern stage in Newcastle upon Tyne and I'm having real problems finding flame resistant paper for a show next season.

I've googled and trawled through trade mags for the last week and the only thing I've found is patterned rolls 45mm wide. My stuff has to be at least 100mm x 100mm and not patterned. These will be used to wrap xmas decorations made on a factory line throughout the performance. We'll need about 100,000 sheets of 100mm x 100mm to last us through the first leg of the tour which is why I'm shying away from d.I.y. with flambar.

I would be so grateful if anyone has any thoughts.

Many thanks,

Nicola

Perhaps you could treat it yourself with flambar or the like?

Edit: duh, having re-read your post you describe what you need it for a few lines down. Sorry! :( -I think I got it, you edited your post to answer the question. Right. *off to corner*

Edit 2: Is flame resistant paper an oxymoron, by the way? :P ;)

Tissue just disintegrates if you try to flambar it, anyway. Unless you have tons of time and infinite patience.

Doesn't solve your patterning problem, but two 450mm rolls scotch-taped together? Still pretty dull, but possible.

Have you tried any of these sites?

http://www.apogeerockets.com/wadding.asp

or

http://www.misterart.com/store/browse/003/...--Gift-Wrap.htm

or

http://www.bemiss-jason.com/catalogonline/...repetissue.html

The confetti used in cannons should also be flame resistant, you would need to get at it before it is cut into small pieces.

These were really great, unfortunately none of them will ship to the UK. But it gives me hope that someone in the UK MUST sell flame resistant tissue/crepe paper!!!

Thank you for all the replies so far.

Flambar doesn't work on tissue paper, tried it. Getting it on the said paper was fine, just laid it out on a concrete floor, sprayed with garden sprayer and waited for the paper to dry. Then came the test, glad I did it outside is all I can say, coulden't have burnt much better if I'd soaked it in petrol !! Tried the process again checking I'd got it right, same result !!

Sorry this isn't much help but just a confirmation that the DIY approach is a no go !!

• 2 weeks later...
The confetti used in cannons should also be flame resistant, you would need to get at it before it is cut into small pieces.

Hi Nicola,

Have you tried Le Maitre? (www.lemaitre.co.uk)

They have a base somewhere down south so I can't imagine delivery being an issue. You could either email them direct from the site for advice or I'm sure Stage Electrics deal with them so you could try their Newcastle office.

Hope you have some joy!

:P

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you've solved your problem, but it might be worth trying the French shop-fittings store Retif. They have at least three branches in the UK, London, Bristol + ?. They have superb selection of stuff for shops and their paper collection is out of this world, because the French always wrap stuff when you buy it. Might be worth a try?

Anthea

Pete's rockets at Heckington Lincs may well have or get the rocket related paper in the top link.

RS do some firePROOF sheets like but not paper. Thicker paper is more fire resistant and holds more fire retardant.

Is the actual act of wrapping plot critical??? Could you have a "packing machine" or " packing station" with a feed conveyor and a output conveyor each recycling the same un wrapped and wrapped items Fire-retarding say 100 products on a conveyor must be cheaper and easier than doing and discarding 100,000 pieces during the run.

Even if tissue paper would take it Flambar is not nice to get on your skin. If people are wrapping decorations for a significant period of time, without gloves, you will find some members of the cast having a reaction to it.

This is one of the reasons that costume and props do not normally come under the same fire regulations as the set, but I guess, if you have piles of paper on stage, which are then used, it falls between the two.

Archived