Flesh Coloured lavalier

Stutwo

My only experience with these miniature lavalier mics has been with MKE2 or Countryman B3. I'm looking to buy some to go with some Sennheiser G2 systems but the Countrymans are proving hard to track down, and the MKE2's are way out of budget. Anybody any suggestions for alternatives?

I had been offered the AKG C417PL as a cheaper alternative, anyone any experience with those? We have a number of very strong singers so the ability to handle that is important. Ta!

Canford audio have some flesh coloured lavs. order code is 91-141/142. Important - the pictures on the website have reversed colour codes, so I always order them by phone so you can make nsure you get the correct colour. I spec these for my trantec 4000's as at this price, when they get destroyed it isn't so bad for the amateur companies who rent them. Quality wise, they are actually very good. Only slight drawback is that the cable length isn't the same as mke-2's, but long enough as long as you don't need it to go up, around, down, accross, up and under, if you know what I mean. They also do a bandwidth limited version, which you don't want (for comms use)

At about £50 plus vat they are worth a shot!

paul

• 1 year later...

I am seeking out subtle flesh coloured over ear mics.

This is for church services (for the vicar). We would tape a capsule to the face and have experimented with this, but time doesn't allow and visiting speakers have objected in the past. We are also hoping to up a level in capsule quality as our current capsule (an ME2) can sound a bit muddy and unclear.

Our transmitter/receiver is an older UHF Sennheiser EW100 (not the new G2 range).

I have looked at the Sennheiser HS2 and the Countryman E6.

These are both at the top end of the budget and I was wondering if anyone had any (cheaper) alternatives?

I was ideally looking for something with a built in wire frame, or a separate frame that could be used with a new capsule.

We haven't got the time to tape mics to cheeks and retrieve them after the service, and I'm not confident that all our engineers would get the placing right with tape.

Blimey - you don't want much do you!

Well, you could buy the sennheiser headset mount - this is a wire and plastic thing in beige or black and is adjustable and has a groove where the mic cable slots into. Me, being mean, simply take a bot of florist wire and make a cheek mounting over the ear version for free, using pink plaster tape to secure the cable. You need to be very careful getting it off though. One point - the Canford mic cables are not over long, so the length of cable you use up going around the head makes placement a bit more of an issue.

Jon,

I think that you'll struggle to find a cheap, low profile flesh coloured headworn mic. In this situation then I'd probably go all resourceful and adapt one of the CPC £5 headmic ones with some flesh coloured nail varnish or paint or something (see previous threads), or just splash out for the countryman E6.

Jon,

In this situation then I'd probably go all resourceful and adapt one of the CPC £5 headmic ones with some flesh coloured nail varnish or paint or something (see previous threads),

Which I have to say, by the way, as a VERY cheap & cheerful option seems to be not that bad a mic!

We ran one side by side with a Sennheiser ME2 (or was it ME4? Can never remember - but the smaller head) - NOT the MKE2, I might add. The audio pickup and quality was hardly noticeable under the brief test we did.

Haven't yet used them in a show situation, but bought half a dozen to give them a good try-out...

TD

Have you looked at the Beyerdynamic Opus 55 model headsets, they are available in black and beige colour. I have got a couple of these and I've been more than happy with them. At under the £100 price bracket they are worth considering. Make sure you order the model that’s unterminated so that you can fit a plug to match your belt pack as they also have a model available terminated with a connector to suit the Beyerdynamic radio mic transmitters.

David

Archived