Multi-trigger smart bulbs

drshakamoto

Hi there,

I come from a music tech background and I'm doing a site specific installation for which I want to lighting element.

The space has four walls and one wall lamp on each wall, normal fitting. I want to install a smart bulb in each lamp and connect them via a trigger so that they flash on and off in sync, or say the light moves around in a circle from bulb to bulb. Basically a mixture of concepts like this.

Is this possible? Is there controller type software that you can use to set algorithms for a multi bulb set up? I know that with smart bulbs you can set them individually to go on and off at s specific rate, or change through colour patterns. But can this be coordinated between multiple bulbs?

Thanks!

Few ways around, bridge from DMX or other trigger to Philips Hue, good lamps at a cost and require intermediate hardware.

Led Strip Studio have adapted Shelly CCT lamps with an external DMX interface

https://ledstripstudio.com/edison-bulb/

Glasson programmable festoon, not the budget option,

https://www.glassonelectronics.co.uk/

WLed

https://kno.wled.ge/

on a smart bulb, some are reprogrammable or Althom offers them pre flashed 

https://www.athom.tech

Or delve into world of Tasmota and ESPhome probably generate a direct trigger from a PIR sensor.

Edited by musht
munged linx

Nor sure if it is what you are looking for but the latest version of Zer88 ZerOS 7.12  News The update adds integration with Strand Vision.Net, Color Kinetics KiNet, and Philips Hue, making it easier for small to mid-sized theatres, houses of worship and schools to connect to other lighting systems in the facility with minimal infrastructure impact." 

Athom bulbs can be reflashed with something like WLed which would allow SACN or Artnet control. 

(I've got several Athom bulbs flashed to ESPhome embedded in old strand lights, giving me home automated retro lighting. It keeps me out of trouble I guess)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Don Allen said:

Nor sure if it is what you are looking for but the latest version of Zer88 ZerOS 7.12  News " The update adds integration with Strand Vision.Net, Color Kinetics KiNet, and Philips Hue, making it easier for small to mid-sized theatres, houses of worship and schools to connect to other lighting systems in the facility with minimal infrastructure impact."

Yes, Zero 88's FLX S, FLX and ZerOS Server can now control Philips Hue lamps and smart plugs, which are inexpensive, easy to setup and readily accessable via online and highstreet stores.

(Note: I am employed by Signify, who own both Zero 88 and Hue)

Edited by jonhole

6 minutes ago, jonhole said:

Yes, Zero 88's FLX S, FLX and ZerOS Server can now control Philips Hue lamps and smart plugs, which are inexpensive, easy to setup and readily accessable via online and highstreet stores.

(Note: I am employed by Signify, who own both Zero 88 and Hue)

All very well but how fast do they update via a Zero88 desk? I have tried something similar with a 3rd party DMX to Hue via the Hue bridge and unless you only ever do fades and don't mind a considerable delay then they are useless for live productions. Even using them with the app they are painfully slow to update. 

5 hours ago, callumb said:

All very well but how fast do they update via a Zero88 desk? I have tried something similar with a 3rd party DMX to Hue via the Hue bridge and unless you only ever do fades and don't mind a considerable delay then they are useless for live productions. Even using them with the app they are painfully slow to update. 

My experience is much more responsive than with an App / HomeKit etc, but not quite as responsive as a standard DMX fixture. We’ve run effects (rainbows, blue sparkles, chases, etc). If fading all on/off together you can’t tell any issues, but if snapping them all on/off together, you can tell the timing isn’t perfectly sync’d.

Depends on how far you want to go. 

Options like hue and other zigbee is one, I like gledopto, bright and good and less than hue. 

Control you could look at homeassistant, and a zigbee stick.   You need to programme it but you can find code online how to chase lights etc. as you will want a say to be turning the chase on and off, and just having them normal. 

That would be maybe £200 for all the bits + time 

I use homeassitant and its great for what it is a home automation tool. I also have used a number of different smart lamps, WiFi, zigbee, zwave and proprietary interfaces and one thing I would say is common with all of them is sometimes they choose not to respond or respond slowly. If this effect is an added bonus then by all means use kit aimed at the home automation market. If its critical to the installation then I'd seriously suggest looking at using something controlled with DMX or wired back to some sort of custom controller. 

• Upvote 2