Aluminium extrusion manufacturer

I'm looking for a company that could manufacture some custom aluminium extrusion for me. The dimensions we're needing are roughly 85mm tall by 20mm deep, with a couple of slots for bolt heads to slide in. We'll probably be needing 100-150m of it. 

The companies I can find online seem to be concentrating on double glazed window frames, or are making high-precision products for aerospace etc. which is overkill for this project. I'm guessing/hoping there'll be a small manufacturer somewhere that isn't ranking on Google. 

Does anyone know someone that might be able to tackle this?

• Like 1

Custom extrusion profiles need custom made extrusion dies, which is expensive. Can you use a standard extrusion section (for engineering and fabrication work) from an Aluminium stockholder and get a machine shop to cut the needed slots in the correct places?

Unless you need tonnes of it look for a supplier with something that you could use. If you will need several tonnes then search for "Hydro Extrusions"

Having been involved in a development project using extruded alloy years ago ask for help with die design, not everything forms as you want.

A previous employer used to use Capalex: https://capalex.co.uk/

Hydro as mentioned above are also a well regarded supplier.

Tooling is generally not very expensive compared to other types of production tooling (£500-2000 sort of range). Typically minimum order is by weight as they will run a billet through the machine (typically 250-500kg) and you get the length that corresponds to this.

The equipment is big, so there don't tend to be many small companies around producing extrusions, but the suppliers are set up for relatively modest batches so well worth talking to them!

Thanks, plenty to dig through here. It's probably evident that I'm a complete novice in this area. 

The Lego-style stuff that Dave recommends is a useful tool to have in the armoury but is the wrong shape for this application. (I came across a custom projection screen built from it a few years ago, had always wondered what it was)

The profile we need is relatively complex compared to what I can see of the "standard" ones, but I'll have a chat with some suppliers and see what they can manage.