pulsar dimmer

Harvey Gibbons

Hello. I have 15a 6 channel pulsar dimmers which use 8 pin connectors. I have a demux to change the 8 pin signal from the dimmers to a DMX signal. I have a 25 pin D-Sub connector which plugs into the back of the demux. Wired from that 25 pin D-Sub connector is 4 individual 8 pin connectors which the plug into the pulsar dimmers. The problem is that I don't know what the wiring diagram is to wire the 25 pin D-Sub connector in the pulsar configuration. I have tried so many different wiring diagrams and it still hasn't worked so if anyone knows how to wire a 25 pin D-Sub connector for a demux in the PULSAR diagram for PULSAR dimmers please contact me. Thanks 

Pulsar use here own wiring standard,pin 1 is +,so you can ignore that one,pin 2 ground,then 3 to 8 for channels 1-6.No idea how the dmux is configured but the ground from your d-mux goes to all the pin 2's on the 8 pin din,channel 1 on the d mux to pin 3 on the first 8 pin din ,channel 2 to pin  4,3 to 5,4 to 6 ,6 to 7 and channel 6 to pin 8.Channel 7 from the d mux  goes to pin 3 on the second din plug,channel  13 to pin 3 on the third 8 pin,and channel 19 to pin 3 on the forth din,I'll leave you to work the rest out

As noted in @bruce's link. The DIN connector does not have sequential pin numbering. Do pay attention to the D connector pin numbering and function in the Showtec Demux documentation, and on the D connector you are using - I got caught out by reversing everything L-R. I'd done a really nice and tidy job of it too. Ooops.

2 minutes ago, pmiller056 said:

The DIN connector does not have sequential pin numbering. 

The 3 pin DIN - I guess that was the first in the series - has perfectly sensible numbering. 3 pins , numbered 1 2 3

Then the 5 pin arrived, but pin-compatible with the 3 - a 3 pin plug will mate with a 5 pin socket. 2 more pins (4&5) were squeezed in between 1 2 and 2 3 - so 14253

Same argument for the 7 pin - 6 and 7 appearing at the other side of the connector.

Then 8 in the middle.

10 hours ago, pmiller056 said:

As noted in @bruce's link. The DIN connector does not have sequential pin numbering. Do pay attention to the D connector pin numbering and function in the Showtec Demux documentation, and on the D connector you are using - I got caught out by reversing everything L-R. I'd done a really nice and tidy job of it too. Ooops.

This!  The first couple I made - I got to practice my soldering.... pin numbers of D connectors don't go down the length of the connector but hop across the pins. 😛

29 minutes ago, ianknight said:

This!  The first couple I made - I got to practice my soldering.... pin numbers of D connectors don't go down the length of the connector but hop across the pins. 😛

Huh? Yes they do. 1-5 or 1-13 down the long side and 6-9 or 14-25 down the short side. Where it gets really confusing is when you're using IDC D connectors with conventional IDC headers on the other end as the ribbon cable connector is numbered odds down one side and evens down the other.

We don't know the make or pinout of your demux.  However the 25 pin D connector will have at least one (and possibly more) pins connected to ground and then a pin with a varying voltage for each channel.  You need to identify which are the ground pin or pins  (perhaps pin 1 according to the final conclusion of this thread )  and then connect one of them to Pin 2 on one of the 8 pin din plugs.  This will give the ground connection.

Next solder to pin 3 on the din plug a piece of insulated wire long enough to reach the back of the D connector when it is plugged in to the demux.  Leave the casing off the D connector and set channel 1 of your DMX controller to say 50% (which will give an output of around 5 volts from the demux).  If you then touch the other end of the piece of insulated wire to each of the D connector pins in turn you will be able to establish which is channel 1 by the fact that the dimmer will turn on.  Try Pin 13 to start with as the pinout may follow that specified by Paul IDF in his post on December 12th in the thread referred to above,  However, ignore his references to the Din pins as he is talking about the Strand pinout,  not the Pulsar.  Once you have established which is the channel 1 output on the D connector then set channel 2 at 50% and repeat the process until you have identified the output pins for all the other channels.