Demux wiring

peter.brangam

Hi there, im a member of my school sound and lighting team and im fairly in the know in terms of lighting and electronics. In School we have a "Showtec 50348" which has 3 25 pin female D sub connectors as its analogue ouput. The Output is split into 4 8 pin Din connectors with 6 channels each for our 4 "Strand Act 6" dimmers (http://www.usedlighting.co.uk/control/dimming/strand-act-6) However I need to make a new wire, I have all the components (8 core wire, DIN connectors, and a Female D SUB) but im not entirely sure of pinouts. There is a pin out diagram on the back of the DEMUX for the 25 pin but I cant quite get it (Im not sure if its from wire side aswell as other confusions). Furthermore I have found pin outs for 8 pin DINs but once again im not sure if its from wire side etc (http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/pin-out/dincon.php). Could you please advise me on the pinouts and wiring of the D sub and DIN

Peter

The demux pinout is as follows, pin 1 = ch1, pin 14 = ch2, pin 2 = ch3, pin 15 = ch4, pin 3 = ch5, pin 16 = ch6, pin 13 = earth.

The D type male plug should have the numbers printed on it - as other have said these are very small and unless lighting is good is easy to miss. However if you plug the D type into the back of the demux pin 1 is on the top left followed by pin 2 and 3 on the top row. Pin 14 is below pins 1 and 2 followed by pins 15 and 16.

Pin 13 is identified as Earth.

On the Act 6 providing this is correct: http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/control/dim...structions.html the din plug is wired pin 1 = ch1, 2=2, 3=3, 4=4, 5=5, 6=6 and 8 = ground. Just leave pin 7 empty.

The instruction book also recommends you install a 10k resistor and a diode which I take it as per channel.

For the next bank of 6 channels the pinout for the demux D type is the next 3 along the top line and the next 3 along the bottom line, earth pin 13 again, and so on.

Hope this helps

The demux pinout is as follows, pin 1 = ch1, pin 14 = ch2, pin 2 = ch3, pin 15 = ch4, pin 3 = ch5, pin 16 = ch6, pin 13 = earth.

The D type male plug should have the numbers printed on it - as other have said these are very small and unless lighting is good is easy to miss. However if you plug the D type into the back of the demux pin 1 is on the top left followed by pin 2 and 3 on the top row. Pin 14 is below pins 1 and 2 followed by pins 15 and 16.

Pin 13 is identified as Earth.

If you look here, the pinout is given as pin1=ch1, pin2=ch2, pin3=ch3, pin4=ch4, pin5=ch5 ... pin23=ch3, pin24=ch24; pin 25 = Earth.

I assume that this Showtec is basically the same as the Botex Multiexchanger, and I can confirm that information for the Botex demux, because I have made myself a 'brekout' cable for that.

Nigel

It would have been sensible to do it that way and my old sirius desk had an analogue output D type configured as you say.

The drawing on the back of the unit on p7 shows earth as pin13, am pretty sure that last time I made a cable up for the showtec unit the pins are configured as I stated above.

It would have been sensible to do it that way and my old sirius desk had an analogue output D type configured as you say.

The drawing on the back of the unit on p7 shows earth as pin13, am pretty sure that last time I made a cable up for the showtec unit the pins are configured as I stated above.

Sorry, Paul, you are absolutely right. I spoke hastily, without consulting the notes I made at the time! There is some logic, in spatial terms, when you look at the D25 socket, but it doesn't coorespond with the pin numbers.

I also had a Zero88 Sirius desk, where the analogue output on D25 was pins 1-24 = channels 1-24, pin 25 = Earth.

Apologies again for confusing the issue!

Nigel

I'll appologise too, it seems I am looking at the plug the wrong way around thinking the output from the demux is male where infact it is female.

Ch1 = Pin 13 (to Pin 1 on Din)

Ch2 = Pin 25 (to Pin 2 on Din)

Ch3 = Pin 12 (to Pin 3 on Din)

Ch4 = Pin 24 (to Pin 4 on Din)

Ch5 = Pin 11 (to Pin 5 on Din)

Ch6 = Pin 23 (to Pin 6 on Din)

Ch7 = Pin 10

Ch8 = Pin 22

Ch9 = Pin 9

Ch10 = Pin 21

Ch11 = Pin 8

Ch12 = Pin 20

Ch13 = Pin 7

Ch14 = Pin 19

Ch15 = Pin 6

Ch16 = Pin 18

Ch17 = Pin 5

Ch18 = Pin 17

Ch19 = Pin 4

Ch20 = Pin 16

Ch21 = Pin 3

Ch22 = Pin 15

Ch23 = Pin 2

Ch24 = Pin 14

Earth = Pin 1 (to Pin 8 on Din)

Completely barmy !!

• 4 years later...

I know this is quite an old thread to resurrect, but it seems the most relevant to my problem!

We've just bought a Botex ME-7 Demux, and I need to make up the cable. (for connection to ACT6 Dimmers)

PaulDF mentioned the 10k resistor and diode that are recommended in the Strand manual; as I'm not familiar with the circuitry (Or to be honest, electronics in general...) I'm not sure if these should be in series, or as a shunt to ground, or whatever, or indeed whether the out put of the demux is already so protected. (Given that it's cheap, and configurable for different polarities, I'm assuming not?)

Also, is there a spec on the necessary cable?

I'm planning to do a quick lash-up using cat5 cable and no resistors etc. to get us going, but then hope to do it properly when we do a more permanent install.

Thanks

Rob

Archived