Outside Yellow Brick Road

Ive been asked to work out a solution for a upcoming event for a outdoor yellow brick road so that the parents walk along the path before entering the venue. The terrain is quite difficult as it would be going over concreate and a section of grass to get to the performance location. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to acheive this on a stupidly tight budget of around £100. It would be nice to have it about 100-200m long but it can be shorter due to budget. It needs to be removeable after use so something like chalk or fabric is preferable.

I thought of fabric but im just worried about the H&S if someone trips as cant really anchor fabric in to concreate. And again thought of chalk but that would take years to do. 

How well does gaffa tape stick to concrete? Could use it to create a very large brick pattern. Thinking strips across the path every metre or so and then longitudinal strips between them to create a brick bond pattern. Eg two in one gap then three in the next then two again and so on.

Edited by DrV
Metre, shmeter b.... autocorrect

Needs some testing, but maybe get creative with yellow temporary marking paint? the spray stuff used for marking out roadworks etc? Make sure you get the temporary variant, not the permanent one....

The temporary one is supposed to degrade and fade after about 90 days - although I do remember a story about someone who used it to mark out an event in a particular area, assuming it would fade or wash away - but the event was at the start of a 3 month long dry spell - so the organisers had to return with pressure hoses.

• Funny 1

For a somewhat similar application I have used the traditional scenic pigments supplied by Flints.

This is paint supplied as a dry powder, and is intended to be mixed with water AND WITH a binding agent to form a reasonably durable finish. For temporary use when permanence is not the objective, then mix it with ONLY water. This produces a non durable paint that may be applied by brush, roller, or spray to most surfaces including concrete and grass. It will wash away with time and weather. May need re-applying after rain or heavy foot traffic.

A school I work with once did the painting trick with their entrance path. Looked great, but the carpet just inside the school doors was bright yellow! Don't recall it ever fading. The footfall across the temporary paint picked it up and carried it indoors. Once engrained in to the carpet it was far more permanent!

23 hours ago, ImagineerTom said:

“Marquee” or “exhibition” carpet is around £1.50 per m2 and would be your safest and most practical way to create a yellow pathway. 

Cost might be beyond the stated budget, but otherwise I agree. My yellow paint idea has the merit of cheapness, but has the drawback of the damaging existing floors in nearby buildings.

Thanks all for your help. I think the yellow paint idea is the best as it's being held outside in a marquee which is ours so we're not really fussed about damage. How long did it take to wash away? We only need it to be at its best for 1 day 

The lifetime of the yellow paint is very variable as it depends on weather, not on elapsed time.

One heavy rainstorm or a number of light showers will wash most of it away. That might take a few hours or a few months depending on the weather.  Even after heavy rain, traces might remain. If it persists longer than desired, then a hose and a stiff brush will help. In prolonged dry weather it lasts for months, but does slowly wear away under foot traffic. If applied to grass it grows out as the grass grows and is either cut with a mower or wears away.

The paint is of very low toxicity and safe for children or pets such as cats and dogs. Keep grazing animals such as sheep, goats, and cattle away as these animals may eat significant amounts of the painted grass. Children, cats and dogs do not eat significant amounts of grass.

I advise a small scale trial beforehand, this need not be in the actual location, provided that the surface is similar.

Could there be a problem getting the paint onto the insides of the marquee panels as they are collapsed?

I know the yellow brick road will probably outside the marquee but paint will be carried inside on peoples feet.Perhaps a piece of suitable carpet inside the entrance for people to wipe their feet on might reduce the problem?

Cheers

Gerry

The paint will be a choice you will regret as you will have yellow powder stains everywhere. 

From some quick calculations the flint pigment will work out about the same cost as carpet per m2 with many complications and any kind of “fixed” paint will be 3-4 times the cost per meter

Edited by ImagineerTom