Looking for New Backpack

Brian

I'm looking for a new backpack. For the right one I'm prepared to spend sensible money. Requirements...

• Comfortable and Ergonomic: easy to wear, and easy to put on and off when getting on public transport
  • Space for 16" full-sized laptop
  • Internal compartments so that other 'stuff' doesn't end up in a pile at the bottom of the main compartment
  • Internal space for other stuff: 10" tablet, USB charger, battery pack, folding headphones, a few usb leads, maybe a bit of small other tech, notepad, pens
  • External pockets for things like glasses, a decent sized water bottle and/or travel mug, paperwork and passes
  • Waterproof: good in the rain

Any recommendations?

On 2/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, sameness said:

Been using a 5.11 Rush 24 for the last 5 years.

I have a few 5.11 bags and they're all very high quality in terms of fabric, zippers, QR buckles etc. Definitely higher than average.

(Incidentally, IMO they also make the best black trousers for the sort of smartish work-show blacks... when one pair has to do both)

Personally I have the 5.11 All Hazards Prime backpack for work which is kind of good in a quality way but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I liked the idea of the changeable inserts but in reality they're a faff and the mash gets caught on the zipper and rips them out by accident. Looking at the site the Rush ones seem a little more suitable for day to day life. Although the orange interior does make it easy to find stuff in low-light, and I like the full length zipper which means you can plonk the bag on a table and open it up like a box - this makes removing your electronics at airport check-in really fast, without having to turf out your entire bag onto the table whilst the whole world watches.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:08 PM, ANDYLASER said:

I use the Wenger Synergy. Brilliant well thought out pack.

https://www.ebuyer.com/125806-wenger-swissgear-synergy-back-pack-15-4-ga-7305-14f00

I've just taken delivery of one of these. Loads of pockets, and I'm sure there are some I haven't found yet. I've got a load of commuting coming up next week so I'll be able to give it a proper road (to be correct, tube) test.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 9:43 PM, ANDYLASER said:

I look forward to hearing your experience of it. I have used mine for 48hr business trips, airline carry on as well as carting around laptops and electronics for various jobs.

It's huge and swallows up everything you put in it. Which isn't always a good thing as I found out when I first packed it. Too many 'oh, that might be useful' moments. Boy, was it heavy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian said:

It's huge and swallows up everything you put in it. Which isn't always a good thing as I found out when I first packed it. Too many 'oh, that might be useful' moments. Boy, was it heavy!

Based on your question and the subsequent recommendations I got one too and agree its very easy to over load. However I am impressed at its stability even when it has an odd weight distribution which makes setting down much easier than previous bags I've had. 

• 1 year later...

My trusty Mountain Warehouse backpack has just died so I'm in the market for a new one. The Wenger Synergy looks like the likeliest candidate from the above (I'd love the Lynas one but can't afford it!). Just checking nothing new has come along, and that everyone who bought the Wenger is still happy with them?