Martin Rush MulitBeams 2

Ed Kaz

Does anyone have or programmed these fixtures?

I have 6 of these in a club and they have some nice "Master/Slave" programs but are not accessible thru DMX (still using old Lightjockey).

When running their macro ... they all do their own thing (looks bad ).

Anyway these fixtures CAN RUN their stand alone programs IF the DMX signal is lost!

Is there a device than can "break/switch" the DMX signal to that separate group of multibeams ... controllable thru the lighting software???? 

Thanks for any help

Ed

16 minutes ago, Ed Kaz said:

Do they make such a thing? 

Or do I break out the soldering iron?

Would there be a problem switching the DMX signal?

If you want to switch manually then a simple dpdt switch is all that is required. Common pair of contacts comes from the incoming DMX, one direction goes to the fixture, the other direction has a 120ohm resistor across it to terminate the remaining part of the incoming line. If you want to do it by remote control you just replace the dpst switch with a dpst relay. How you then drive the relay is down to your imagination!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Kaz said:

Dave would this work?

Can I just switch the "+D" of the DMX signal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313415418929?epid=11012071349&hash=item48f903c431:g:wyQAAOSw9vdgJVMu

When units work in standalone mode, they usually spit out DMX so only cutting one leg could cause some mighty strange things to happen.....

You could just get a DPDT relay with the same coil voltage, take the SP relay off and wire the coil of the DP to the coil connection on the board. You'd have to mount the new DP relay seperately as it will be bigger.

• Thanks 1

Just what Simon said. I was going to suggest a relay but as you're not in the UK the suppliers I'd suggest wouldn't be relevant. Make sure you connect the DMX for the control PCB to the incoming DMX, otherwise you'll be able to turn it off once but then not be able to turn it back on again! 🙄

If you're not good at desoldering you probably don't need to remove the existing relay. You can just connect the DPDT relay coil in parallel with it.

As Simon rightly says, you don't want to cut just one leg of the DMX. You must switch both legs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrV said:

Just what Simon said. I was going to suggest a relay but as you're not in the UK the suppliers I'd suggest wouldn't be relevant. Make sure you connect the DMX for the control PCB to the incoming DMX, otherwise you'll be able to turn it off once but then not be able to turn it back on again! 🙄

If you're not good at desoldering you probably don't need to remove the existing relay. You can just connect the DPDT relay coil in parallel with it.

As Simon rightly says, you don't want to cut just one leg of the DMX. You must switch both legs.

No soldering required, use a double pole relay such as:Image 1 - 24 volt 24V DC Relay 2 pole base diode LED generator Finder None Latch Latchingand power the coil by using the on board relay.

Another idea is to use a 4 pole relay to bypass the section of light fittings:

image.thumb.png.d6a429018ee8bfde100a0e4c3c768bf7.png

Edited by sunray
I have shown as 'normally bypassed', ie the fitting spend more time in stand alone than DMX
  • Thanks 1