Sticky Microphones !

Techs2k

Hi All,

So after a little break from events / shows due to some virus outbreak I have been checking my kit that has been in my storage unit.

2 of my handheld mics must have a rubber type coating on them and now feel 'sticky' I know ive had this on other kit before but never really found an easy way to 'clean' them back to a usable state !

Has anyone else had this and found a solution ?

Thanks in advance !

Have previously tried (on different kit) baby wipes and avoided acetone !

Whatever you do end up doing, use a lint free cloth or sponge to apply/clean/whatever. I say this as someone who cleaned a similarly sticky item with blue roll and now have a not-quite-so-sticky but quite fluffy item instead! 

I'm a big fan of Wonder Wipes (or screwfix' own brand multi purpose wipes). They're coated in a soap and isopropanol mix, and are really good at this kind of thing. Sadly not very "green" but very effective.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:09 PM, cedd said:

Whatever you do end up doing, use a lint free cloth or sponge to apply/clean/whatever. I say this as someone who cleaned a similarly sticky item with blue roll and now have a not-quite-so-sticky but quite fluffy item instead! 

I'm a big fan of Wonder Wipes (or screwfix' own brand multi purpose wipes). They're coated in a soap and isopropanol mix, and are really good at this kind of thing. Sadly not very "green" but very effective.

I managed to pick up some tea bag material which is brilliant as it is totally lint free and doesn't break up. It's not absorbant though and works like a scouring pad but doesn't sctratch.

I've had the protective 'rubber' bumpers of some DI boxes go sticky over the various lockdowns. Removing this is always a balance between using a solvent that is so polar and aggressive that it will also remove a wanted paint or screen print layer or one that is gentle but isn't really effective.

Although WD40 is often touted in these situations, and the aliphatic hydrocarbons it contains can be quite useful in getting off 'gunk'. I'm not so keen on getting the mineral oil from WD40 on gear or cables and am not a fan of the persistent smell either!

I am wary of using acetone as it is quite aggressive, but if used to dampen (but not saturate) a cotton cloth and then the cloth is rubbed fairly hard on the affected parts (!) it seems quite good at removing the stickiness without noticeably damaging the surface.

• 1 year later...

Any more ideas on this subject?

I got out radio mics at the weekend for a job and 3 have gone really horrible, one in particular was in bubble wrap and gone slimy, almost runny.

My usual has been to scrub with a coarse fabric, teabag material is excellent at it remains firm, with white spirits followed by damp and weak washing up liquid wipe and when thoroughly dry a hint of furniture polish.

This does of course take it back to the base plastic material.

So my Trantec S4.4 mics, removed locking collar and scrubbed with white spirits, cleaned up a treat, started with a sleeve and the sticky doesn't seem to stop, it feels like I'm rubbing it all away.

I've tried WD40 in the past and it just seems to soften it, rather like just washing up liquid. I really don't want to start on Acetone as I'm convince there are long term effects on plastics.

I haven't even begun on the slimy one yet.

Sadly I used to have a friend worked very near Trantec and he could just pop-in for spares without the minimum order charges but those days are long gone, otherwise it would have been a no brainer.

I have had the same experience with some of the Sennheiser Freeport mics and the iPad rest on the Allen & Heath QU desks. A bit of IPA and it removes the sticky 'soft touch' layer and takes it back to the base plastic. This was a while ago now and I have seen no degradation to the plastic.

Sadly I find IPA evaporates quicker than the rare  times I use it so don't have any at present and I doubt vodka will do the job.😀

Having now cleaned up the other 2 mics with white spirits (the slimy was actually very easy, almost washed off without scrubbing) I feel the first must be a different plastic material or has become contaminated with something. I'll leave it to 'dry'  or harden for a few weeks and have another look.