ADB Vision 10 Software

Savoytheatre Tonyrefail

Hi all.

I have my old ADB Vision 10 compact desk. I know these are old, but I have it as a back up. I live in South Wales, but have got to light a show in Essex in a week or so. The theatre in question will not allow me to use the ETC Ion even though I have used them many times before, so I want to take the Vision 10 compact. The desk is working fine, however, I have lost the software for it and if anything goes wrong, I cannot reload it.

Has anyone got the software for an ADB Vision 10 compact please?

Regards.

Daniel.

Can't help with the Vision10 software, but I have the same question as Bryson. What sort of theatre won't let a visiting production use their lighting console? That's a very strange thing. Are you working for the venue itself, or a production company which is hiring the venue?

Sorry can't help with the ADB console as I have never used one.

As a now retired amateur LD for over 200 productions, I lit shows all over the place in hired venues and always had the option of using the house console - which were mainly Strand 500 or ETC Ion in my time.

It was fairly normal for the desk to be returned to some starter state with a show folder for my show already created and a blank show file saved for when we arrived. So I would have to go to a lot of trouble to trample on anything!

I would check again with the venue (especially if you haven't been there before) as this doesn't sound right to me. I think I had one case of a venue being precious with a brand new Ion and they wanted me to use their old desk instead (ETC Express). When I told them I had attended the ETC Ion training and had used one before, they relented and I got the Ion after all. Don't let them confuse you with the local dance school teacher.

Yep, they will not let me use the ION. I am a professional of over 45 years. I have fitted out theatres and own one myself. I have used all types of desks and own a few. I have used an ION many times, but the reason they give for not letting me use it is that the company are amateur and therefore I am too. Oh well, if that is how it is.

• Funny 1

How bizarre. Maybe they need to take a leaf out of the Minack book - they state in the conditions that it is the incoming company's responsibility - amateur or professional - to supply someone competent to program and operating the lighting (and sound) equipment, and that's the end of it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Savoytheatre Tonyrefail said:

Yep, they will not let me use the ION. I am a professional of over 45 years. I have fitted out theatres and own one myself. I have used all types of desks and own a few. I have used an ION many times, but the reason they give for not letting me use it is that the company are amateur and therefore I am too. Oh well, if that is how it is.

I mean the strange thing is that, even if you were an amateur, what do they actually think you might do to it? Like besides physical damage (the causes of which ought to be apparent to people professional and amateur alike), providing they've taken a backup of their showfile, worst you can do is a total mess of a showfile in which case they just need to re-load their own when you're done. With lighting instruments I get it - I've seen lenses fouled with odd cleaning implements, bent shutter blades, broken iris mechanisms etc from heavy handed idiots. Oh and a gobo holder landing on the audience because the fixture was rigged upside down... but like, surely there's only so far you can go wrong with some buttons, faders and encoders... 🙄

Sounds like somebody's got an expensive toy they don't understand and they just don't want anyone to play with it 

I know we’re veering off-topic here, but:

I assume the “amateur” company you’re working for is renting this theatre?  Surely the lighting console is an integral part of the theatre functionality?  How do they propose you control the lighting you’re renting from them?  Have they offered the opportunity to let their staff operate the console to your instruction, at least?

Maybe this is about the renter declining to pay for a lighting tech?

As a member of an amateur troupe who have done shows in a couple of venues other than our own, I've not come across this. At Minack we've always had the choice of using their desk or bringing our own. when we were at Fairfield Hall (well, Ashcroft theatre) we were just pointed at the in-house desk and asked if we knew how to use it - yes, it was a Strand - and that was the end of it. We also supplied the follow spot ops, only one of whom had used a Super Trouper before, so they gave us a quick instructional and again, we were left to it. Part of the hire.

To return to the main topic:  Were ADB/Clay Paky any help?  (I actually have a call with Clay Paky this afternoon, I could ask...)

(Back to the other side of this topic, I think as a venue tech, I would rather renters use the house console than attempt to troubleshoot connecting their own console of dubious provenance to my system....   Hence my suspicion that it's a "stick" to make you hire their lighting tech rather than an actual technical reason.)

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:20 AM, Savoytheatre Tonyrefail said:

Given the date this may already of passed but if I were you and If they persisted - I'd refuse to go. You know you are taking a potential problem, albeit highly unlikely, into a venue that apparently has none and no stake in solving yours. 

I don’t work there anymore, but when I was last at the Marina Theatre in Lowestoft there was the old Vision 10 and the backup crate sitting unused in storage. I don’t think we ever had the software on disc, but you could always clone the hard drive. Drop them a message and I’m sure they’ll be glad to be rid of the thing 🙂