Nanny State

themadhippy

the good old h+s buracrats have struck again, seems like the hi wire act at the moscow state circus must wear a hard hat whilst rehersing more details at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly...-753602,00.html

and http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_802486.html.

how long before we have to issue the cast with hard hats for the tec/dress?

this was blatantly a publicity stunt.

• 2 years later...
Guest lightnix

Gosh, it's been a while; but I just had to bump it for...

Health and safety rules trip up pancake race

A Cathedral pancake race that is part of a 600-year-old tradition has been stopped because of health and safety rules.

The bell at Ripon Cathedral... has signalled the start of the city's pancake race for the past 11 years.

However, the event... has been abandoned because of the amount of work needed to carry out risk assessments...

Mr Bateman, a councillor, said: "The main problem is health and safety. There are so many things to put in place to make sure the event can get off the ground.

"...at the end of the day fewer and fewer people are volunteering these days, and it's because of the paperwork that started off as well-meaning but has now gone overboard...

Full story here... (my emphasis)

:(

While I'm here...

I was having a quick H&S ciggie outside the office the other week, when looking across the recreation ground opposite, I noticed a group of primary school children. It was hard not to notice them, as they were all clad in hi-viz :blink:

I commented on the nanny state-ness of this scene to someone from another office, who said, "Ah yes, but they've got to cross the road in a minute".

"Which road is that?" I replied, "The one here, where you can see traffic coming from a hundred yards in each direction; or the main road with the Pelican crossing?"

It is starting to go too far now, isn't it?

Besides for the better weather here in Spain the things like "Health and safety rules trip up pancake race" makes me glad I no longer live in the UK.

Spain still has a healthy disregard for a lot of the health and safety rules.

Cheers

Gerry

I heard it said, on the local UK news, that the increased costs of road closure and insurance where the cause of the cancellation.

I can believe that is the real reason. When I still lived in the UK iI was involved in an annual firework disply to raise funds dfor charity. The event was finnaly dropped because we couldn't afford the ever increasing insurance.

Cheers

Gerry

Archived