Help! Unique 2.1 hazer not producing haze

alexwindeatt

Hi All,

My unique 2.1 has stopped outputting haze for some reason. Upon further inspection when in manual mode with the pump set to 99%, I am only getting a continuous 32-45v from the two black cables supplying power to the fluid pump (I have purchased a new fluid pump but that has made no difference). Is this the correct voltage? as the rating on the pump is 230v. After running the hazer for a few minutes the thermal cut out on the heating element cuts out. The only thing I haven't checked is the air pump.

Could this be the cause of the tripping and no haze output?

Hope you can help, any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

The Fluid Pumps are 240volt. Shame you bought a new one, we just plug them into 240volts and they either work or don't. The voltage is pulsed to the Fluid Pump and so the higher the % on the Display, the faster the clicks of the Fl.Pump. Not sure what actual voltage they get. The Air Pumps are also 240volts however they do weaken over time as they often draw in Haze, rather than fresh air, especially in enclosed spaces such as nightclubs. The Haze condenses inside the Air Pump and weakens it so that it starts to 'splutter' at low levels ie 20% or less, then eventually dies. So you could also supply 240volts direct to the A.Pump to test it, even if it works it does not mean that at lower voltages it will properly. However neither of these issues should cause the HE to overheat and trip.

If the HE is actually glowing Red (disasterously) it means the wires of the thermocouple are touching each other somewhere probably at he connection to the Display CPU. If it isn't, and is just tripping, then I would guess it is a PCB issue and could be either the Power PCB or the Display CPU and these are not cheap.

We can send a Service Manual if you think it would help - let us know. Happy to take a look for free and diagnose if you can get it to us. Also if you want an old Air Pump which has come out of a repair, just to try out, let us know and we'll get one in the post. Regards PS we would need the Serial Number or last 4 digits of it as the Air Pumps changed in 2009 as did the Fan.

On a related note, our unique 2 hazer is getting quite buzzy. Any suggestions what it's likely to be - air pump, fan motor, or something else?

Not sure what you mean by 'buzzy'. Do you have a Unique, Unique2 or 2.1 ? Is it 'buzzing' when just turned on or actually outputting Haze ? If it is 'clicking' then that's the Fluid Pump trying to suck in Fluid. Regards

It's not a clicking - it sort of sounds like like a transformer core buzzing. It's a Unique 2 (at ealst I think it is).

It buzzes continuously when it's on. We tried disconnecting the air pump - it still buzzes. It's not the fluid pump, that works fine. Can't tell if the buzz is coming from the fan motor, or from under the control logic cowl. Most strange.

• 7 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, Hardlucktim said:

The Fluid Pumps are 240volt. Shame you bought a new one, we just plug them into 240volts and they either work or don't. The voltage is pulsed to the Fluid Pump and so the higher the % on the Display, the faster the clicks of the Fl.Pump. Not sure what actual voltage they get. The Air Pumps are also 240volts however they do weaken over time as they often draw in Haze, rather than fresh air, especially in enclosed spaces such as nightclubs. The Haze condenses inside the Air Pump and weakens it so that it starts to 'splutter' at low levels ie 20% or less, then eventually dies. So you could also supply 240volts direct to the A.Pump to test it, even if it works it does not mean that at lower voltages it will properly. However neither of these issues should cause the HE to overheat and trip.

If the HE is actually glowing Red (disasterously) it means the wires of the thermocouple are touching each other somewhere probably at he connection to the Display CPU. If it isn't, and is just tripping, then I would guess it is a PCB issue and could be either the Power PCB or the Display CPU and these are not cheap.

We can send a Service Manual if you think it would help - let us know. Happy to take a look for free and diagnose if you can get it to us. Also if you want an old Air Pump which has come out of a repair, just to try out, let us know and we'll get one in the post. Regards PS we would need the Serial Number or last 4 digits of it as the Air Pumps changed in 2009 as did the Fan.

Can I have a copy of the service manual 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I know it is a while ago, but my unique hazer is also not producing haze or pumping fluid - perhaps the triac...  Can someone please send me the service manual?  Would be awesome, thanks

Maybe just post a wetransfer link here or something?

• 7 months later...

I don't have a service manual and not actually aware that there is one for general use. Certainly Look Solutions have never offered me one. I generally work on the basis that there aren't service manuals unless fixing audio equipment of a certain age. But I fix a lot of Uniques, so if you detail the problems you are having and what you have done then someone here may be able to help.

The usual problems with them are the E-8 error, blocked heat exchanger, and failed air pump. On the most recent models, I've also seen issues with the bottle connection valve.

Edited by indyld