Big Top style Pop-Up Tent

Stuart91

..... why do they need extra space for added social distancing for school age children who sit in classrooms every day cheek by jowl without masks?

They just have to follow the same or similar guidelines to those given to schools and they should be OK.

In England secondary school children wear masks most of the time (at least in my borough), though not outside, which this may count as.

The structure doesn't have to be hexagonal - that's just me carrying on my thoughts from the original Big Top style thing that I'd spotted.

I suppose square or rectangular gives a bit more useful space since you can go right out to the corners.

I've seen plenty of pop-ups blowing away (most memorably, one that had a small dog tied to a leg). The tricky part seems to be the assembly process, by definition the fabric has to go onto them before the legs can be anchored. It's certainly another point against that style.

I'm not too sure about the detail of the regulations re. social distancing. They've been given a max number for the building. Part of the issue is that the children are coming from a mix of schools, I suspect if they were all from the same institution (e.g. after school care) then it wouldn't be such a concern.

At the start of lockdown I started to look for similar, I did wonder about a Key Klamp based frame that we could build and leave up, bolted into the ground.Then only cover it when needed as we'd be subject to the same vandalism /theft issues. My idea was the simple outline of a child's drawing of a house.It didn't happen though

by definition it's impossible to properly guy-down a pop up tent - the very structure you are trying to make secure and solid has been designed specifically to be neither of those things.

Dave M - scaffold theft is a real problem; quite complicated scaffold structures disappear overnight so your simple frame would be gone in hours. Also what you're talking about leaving on site would be the worlds most attractive climbing frame...

It's horses for courses really. What the OP was asking for is not a course for which one would suggest the pop-up horse as the first or maybe even any choice. But there are many purposes for which with the right expenditure and proper precautions they are an ideal tool. Every time I have seen real problems with them - and trust me I have - they have been at the dirt cheap end of the market in the hands of inexperienced owners who given the weather conditions should not have been working, or in one or two worrying cases have been allowed to work, anyway.