Is this laser okay for house party ?

Davej

There are settings on the software that allow me to change the brightness. Does turning down the brightness make it safer? I understand the lasers I linked are quite powerful but if I change thr brightness I could put it down by a large percentage

Also my living room is only 2.6m in height so the laser would be mounted at 2.5m and going directly above everybody's head . So maybe this isn't enough

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are settings on the software that allow me to change the brightness. Does turning down the brightness make it safer? I understand the lasers I linked are quite powerful but if I change thr brightness I could put it down by a large percentage

Also my living room is only 2.6m in height so the laser would be mounted at 2.5m and going directly above everybody's head . So maybe this isn't enough

OK - based on this extra info, the very simple answer is a heartfelt NO! Don't even contemplate using lasers in any way shape or form. It's clear that you have no real-world understanding of the dangers, and just don't realise that lasers of any type in a domestic setting are a big no.

YOU have the responsibility of keeping guests safe and in this scenario you're immediately putting everyone who walks into the room at a high risk of optical damage.

Add to that that if you're considering a house party any time soon (certainly in the UK) that would be an illegal event and you risk serious fines then this really isn't the right thing to do.

And I suspect you'll get little support from anyone here,...

3 metres of haze, 3 metres above the floor is a starting point for lasers and they are effective there because the haze makes the beams visible. Less than that and they are too dangerous to consider.

Some foreign lasers have a very freely described power rating that may be unrelated to the real power upwards or downwards.

Remember that you are risking life long eye damage to your friends, and yourself.

I think I may leave the laser and get something else. Bevahse I dont want to have to be worrying on the night of partying.

Is there anything else I can buy that looks just as good? Don't know much about lighting but I found an all in one bar https://www.beamzlighting.com/product/showbar-free-2x-par-2x-derby-and-strobe/

I assume this is safe to look at. Would something like this be okay? Or maybe a moving head?

Out of curiosity, does anyone think there should be more regulation on the sale of such devices?

Simple answer - YES.

More complex answer - yes, but not quite sure how it would be managed....

My inclination is that, to enforce it, the easiest way would be to insist all operators of laser systems are specifically insured.

The insurers would then handle the competency requirement.

Rather than making competency itself the legal requirement.

Edited by dje

Remember that you are risking life long eye damage to your friends, and yourself.

I would just add to that, to point out that while you may feel that the risk is worth it (as at least some of your generation appear to feel about covid restrictions), when you or your friends need to take an eye-test, & find yourselves permanently banned from holding a driving license because your peripheral vision has been shot, you may feel the risk wasn't worth it after all. Yes, we all take risks when we are young (it's part of growing up, & most of us survive) but, unlike say a broken leg, eye-damage is permanent (& no fun).

E2A: Glad to see all the shouts of "Don't even think about it !!!" are having an effect smile.gif. Can't answer for your alternative, but at least it's less likely to permanently maim your guests.

Edited by sandall

I think I may leave the laser and get something else. Bevahse I dont want to have to be worrying on the night of partying.

Is there anything else I can buy that looks just as good? Don't know much about lighting but I found an all in one bar https://www.beamzlighting.com/product/showbar-free-2x-par-2x-derby-and-strobe/

I assume this is safe to look at. Would something like this be okay? Or maybe a moving head?

Leaving the laser out is a good move. Those derbies can look good with some haze in the air.

Thanks for help so far. I'm looking into an all in one bar instead now. I found one that contains a laser

https://www.steinigke.de/en/mpn51741094-eurolite-led-kls-laser-bar-next-fx-light-set.html

It says in the product description that its a class 2 laser which is safe. However in the specifications it says the lasers are 130mw.

After looking here https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/laserclasses.html it days anything over 5mw is considered a class 3b laser.

So I am confused on how this works exactly. Why are they claiming its class 2? Is it because there are other specs that need to be taken into account other than just the mw?

Good decision.

BUT that doesn't answer the other question....

When are you planning this party?

Nope, read the link, beam is so fat that maximum exposure at retina , through small hole of your iris, is within safe limits.

Ignoring the curtain twitching ?and you are like many others are planning for a house party when such things are possible obviously....

All in ones , until one bit gives up.

Video projector as suggested and few of this sort of thing scattered around

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OMERIL-Activated-Birthday-Gathering-Christmas/dp/B07CSPPXJY/

Lots of thin beams are LEDs, the laser has a 28mm beam diameter, bit of yellow green rope waving about, being a laser will stay same width for very long way, not .uch use in smaller room.

Amazon item and similar have advantage of being wide angle, moving heads tend to be quite narrow angle.

The revolving facets thing works well in multiples and from different positions, some remote plug in sockets for variety.Cheap video projector if your going to use fog, juice isn't kindto them.

Blacklight,fluro, not LED unless spending loads the effect is much diminished

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003GSPBJS/ref=psdcmw_3764827031_t1_B07KCPJXG

Edited by musht

Following @musht 's suggestion. UV produces good flourescence effects in a small space. Do take care to get the correct type of UV lamp. BLB or 'Blacklight Blue' is what you need. Do not attempt to use anything else such as insect zapper, suntan or germicidal lamps - these are all hazardous and usually don't work well with fluorescent effects. As noted above, the most cost effective BLB light source is a Fluorescent lamp type source - the unlit bulb/tube will appear black with a deep purple glow when lit. Fluorescent lamp UV sources which are clear or white when unlit may be dangerous. Edited by pmiller056

Mimicking a laser with a projector works rather well. I recently did it in a rather sizeable concert hall, as it was cheaper and less admin work than getting lasers in. It's not the same, and on a high budget show in a big venue I'd happily contract it out to the experts - but there's the clue, I wouldn't try to run lasers while also running lights unless it was a long run show that I had time to get impeccably programmed with spotters available. I've worked with some great laser teams, and I'm very happy to leave them to be the experts.