Decent inexpensive softlights for filming

Stuart91

The first economy soft light has to be a lantern that you have being reflected off a full or part sheet of foam polystyrene. To this end Manfrotto (dot com) certainly did supply long sharp forks specially for impaling foam poly and holding it to a stand.

If you look through the Manfrotto catalogue on line you will find all sorts of options.

Isn't a hot light pointing a polystyrene a bit of a fire risk?

(Fresh in my mind because that's apparently how the first Glasgow Art School fire started, although that was expanding foam out of a can)

I suppose distance is your friend here but I'm still a little wary, given it's being left in the hands of novices.

Found the forks, though (143F is the code) - it's definitely something to keep in mind for the future, I'm sure they'll come in handy for something.

If you're nifty with a soldering iron, you can make some surprisingly effective panels with lots of strips of LED tape stuck to a sheet of Corex and then wired back to an LED driver (DMX or nice simple twiddly knobs) very similar to the Litegear Litepanels.

24v bicolour works well so you can roughly adjust colour temperature. RGBW if you want to branch out to music videos ?

Meanwell PSUs are reliably flicker free for filming. You can then use diffusion gel or grid cloth to soften further...stood off from the panel as stated earlier.

• 2 weeks later...