Fresnel Lenses for Strand Patt 23 - anyone got a source?

GruntPuppy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, goodness. With the faint aging to the copper, that looks beautiful. I'm looking at going with a GLS lamp holder, and was considering the option of a colour-changing LED with remote.

I can't remember if the IR remote works through the lens of the 23, it certainly does with the 123. The former may be a bit more hit and miss if it works at all.

Since there's currently more chance of finding carrots on the moon than finding a period stand,

I have a few assorted period stands in the "projects to be completed one day - honest" pile... I've messaged you.

I don't seem to have received a message - and I am already sourcing bits for a 123 build, if you can spare one, I'd appreciate it, and be happy to buy it.

I also seem to have bookmarked some type 45's for sale... The contrast between the cast aluminium shells of the 23/123 and the angular minimalism of the 45's fascinates me.

IIRC the real 23N was a different beast, with a long straight front body & a handle at the back...

This is what I recall being an 823. Well, the long straight front body, at least. The Strand Archive has an entry for such too.

823 is a fresnel

I think initially 23N was an alternative lens tube to the normal short one. At some point, the same casting as the 823, with a PC lens and a handle became the Patt 23N MkII.

Ah I know a little about the 823, it was a narrower beam angle than a 23 but brighter, I worked in a theatre which had 4 along each side of the auditorium with the bar running front to back.

IIRC they had a different bulb type [may possibly a 650W GY9.5?]. They were replaced with 1KW 263's which had a similar sort of beam angle but much much brighter. These were 8-15m from the stage.

Thinking further and possibly getting it very wrong I may have seen a pair of 823's in a pub but they seemed longer than I remembered, lighting a corner stage but with a wider beam more like a fresnel so I wonder if they had different lens options.

These are the style I was thinking of but I seem to remember a removable black vertical bakelite handle option. http://www.strandlighting.co.uk/Patt23/downloads/patt23n_datasheet_1967.pdf

I don't have any useful leads on a decent stand. The 'correct' and pleasing one for floor mounting would be one of the Strand cast base telescopics, and the example image is a nice enough one with a similar look. Strand also produced orchestra and conductor stands with similar bases to the telescopics.

I have an older version of this stand with a set in the legs, sadly just the bottom section and base and it has a dent preventing a 1" galve pipe slide down more that 12" or so.

I think it's probably as old as me

I also seem to have bookmarked some type 45's for sale... The contrast between the cast aluminium shells of the 23/123 and the angular minimalism of the 45's fascinates me.

Angular minimalism is about all the 45 had going for it, certainly not known for its qualities as a lighting instrument. If you are interested in different designs and would like to see a more funky and less boxy version of the Patt 45, search for the Furse SFR.

Edited by indyld

Angular minimalism is about all the 45 had going for it, certainly not known for its qualities as a lighting instrument. If you are interested in different designs and would like to see a more funky and less boxy version of the Patt 45, search for the Furse SFR.

This is indeed true - the Furse is indeed a funky box. But I seem to have Strand Fever. But - one lamp at a time.

I have seen pictures of 45's with a rear reflector fitted - is this what they should have, or is this a common despairing retrofit?

[edit. Oops. I appear to be tracking a pair of type 43's - the 1000w jobbies. Which do indeed have a rather nugatory rear reflector.

Edited by GruntPuppy

I have seen pictures of 45's with a rear reflector fitted - is this what they should have, or is this a common despairing retrofit?

I don't think the Mk3 (boxy ones) ever came with the reflector 'option', but reckon that plenty of people had a go at improving the light output with whatever they could muster. I don't remember hearing anything about an upgrade kit, so guess any reflector may be robbed from something else. The earlier versions that were lozenge shaped did have a reflector, I think.

The old joke about getting more light out of a 45 by facing it backwards and opening the rear door was pretty on the money, and the situation even mentioned in the 1969 catalogue from Strand which states:

"The light is recommended for high-lighting applications where low initial cost is considered more important than optical efficiency"

Edited by indyld

I always thought they were marketed to people who fancied the idea of spotlights without the money. I can recall a number of tatty 'pub corner' and cheap club stages equipped with half a dozen backed up with a few coloured reflector lamps in angled batten holders. Any profiles were pointed at the mirror ball naturally...

I don't think the Mk3 (boxy ones) ever came with the reflector 'option', but reckon that plenty of people had a go at improving the light output with whatever they could muster. I don't remember hearing anything about an upgrade kit, so guess any reflector may be robbed from something else. The earlier versions that were lozenge shaped did have a reflector, I think.

The old joke about getting more light out of a 45 by facing it backwards and opening the rear door was pretty on the money, and the situation even mentioned in the 1969 catalogue from Strand which states:

"The light is recommended for high-lighting applications where low initial cost is considered more important than optical efficiency"

It definitely appears that I'm looking at a pair of type 43's, which have at some point been fitted with rear reflectors, either at factory [edit] or [/edit] as a retro-fit - good-oh :)

Edited by GruntPuppy

• 1 year later...