Fresnel Lenses for Strand Patt 23 - anyone got a source?

GruntPuppy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it the 23N is the version with the conical lens tube and mounting position moved forwards.

Although usually called a 23N that was just a "standard" 23 with the usual short lens tube swapped for the long conical one. IIRC the real 23N was a different beast, with a long straight front body & a handle at the back, presumably intended as a mini follow-spot for schools (unfortunately they were too wide-angle for anything but point-blank range, & using a drop-in iris reduced the output too much), or maybe just to save burning fingers when used on stands.

E2A: Available with (23N/RH) or without the rear handle, though I've only met ones with handles.

Edited by sandall

IIRC the real 23N was a different beast, with a long straight front body & a handle at the back...

This is what I recall being an 823. Well, the long straight front body, at least. The Strand Archive has an entry for such too.

823 is a fresnel

I think initially 23N was an alternative lens tube to the normal short one. At some point, the same casting as the 823, with a PC lens and a handle became the Patt 23N MkII.

Incidentally, have any of you ever seen a 23h?

Yes, usually seen with an N lens to make a basic followspot.

I think I have a handle in my box of Patt bits.

Would you consider selling it to a good home? I've found a set of the fixed aperture irises, the adjustable mask, a variable iris and period gobo holders. I think I've got a source for period effects gobos too - all of which will be restored and kept. I would dearly like to have a handle as well.

IIRC the real 23N was a different beast, with a long straight front body & a handle at the back...

This is what I recall being an 823. Well, the long straight front body, at least. The Strand Archive has an entry for such too.

823 is a fresnel

I think initially 23N was an alternative lens tube to the normal short one. At some point, the same casting as the 823, with a PC lens and a handle became the Patt 23N MkII.

The balance issue with the 23N mk1 was solved as well.

Damn it's good to be able to learn from people who know their stuff inside and out!

I've been looking rather hard for a decent stand to mount the 23 on, and also the planned 123 that I hope to follow it with - but finding something that isn't jarringly modern in style and substantial enough to do the job properly is proving troublesome. Does anyone know where I can find a stand like this one?

s-l500.jpg

The 823 and 813 is advertised as a profile spot in the 1979 datasheet/brochure and the 1980 catalogue, and I remember them in use as profiles. It just has some funny prismatic lens.

Oops, you are correct, it's described as a stepped prismatic lens, not a fresnel! The shutters should have been a giveaway too. Next time I'll look at the data sheets and not rely on memory :-)

Incidentally, have any of you ever seen a 23h?

I had two until 23 years ago when I was still working with such stuff - very useful as fill in follows. Unlike the Mk2 Ns which I never really liked. The Mk1s were a super little tool.

I saw a couple for about a tenner each at the Great Dorset Steam Fair junk market section around 2010 and should have bought them.

Edited by Junior8

I don't have any useful leads on a decent stand. The 'correct' and pleasing one for floor mounting would be one of the Strand cast base telescopics, and the example image is a nice enough one with a similar look. Strand also produced orchestra and conductor stands with similar bases to the telescopics.

I must admit that my two personal lanterns (Patt23 and Patt123, copper plated) are only on humble wooden H-plates. This makes them fine for uplighting, but not the best solution to show off the fixture nor provide the most useful angle.

Edited by indyld

I don't have any useful leads on a decent stand. The 'correct' and pleasing one for floor mounting would be one of the Strand cast base telescopics, and the example image is a nice enough one with a similar look. Strand also produced orchestra and conductor stands with similar bases to the telescopics.

I must admit that my two personal lanterns (Patt23 and Patt123, copper plated) are only on humble wooden H-plates. This makes them fine for uplighting, but not the best solution to show off the fixture nor provide the most useful angle.

Copper plated? That must look superb. Is there any chance of a picture?

I've been looking at truck chassis enamel colours, I think I'm going with Scania chassis grey on mine, as it's a tough paint with a good build. There will be some polished ally, probably the rear door, lens holder and U bracket.

Knowing the correct name of the stand type I like is very, very useful. The hunt begins anew.

Please can I pry that 23n handle from your grasp? I would be willing to pay a fair price!

Can't lay my hands on a picture of the 123 at the moment, but it looks very much as one would imagine based on the image of the 23. Thankfully, the woodchip wallpaper I inherited is soon to be no more. The 123 is sadly not an early enough model to have the fresnel lens with the fewer steps.

Both look good. I also have plated hook clamps for them, which obviously are omitted on their current stands. The plating process started with a clean/polish, then nickel plate (to allow the copper plate to stick), then copper, then lacquer. I didn't do all this, I took the parts to a plater and it didn't cost much.

I had them plated many years ago and left them otherwise original including the T1 lamps that they came with. More recently, (well, less than 10 years ago) I decided that they were not going to be truly used until converted so I slightly reluctantly mounted BC lamp holders in them. I still have all the removed bits. The lanterns now get used daily in my living room. They currently have GLS lamps in them, but I have sometimes used with with those colour changing LED based BC lamps with a little IR remote. Obviously, the LED lamps are not ideal for the fixtures optical properties, but the GLS ones work well enough.

Edited by indyld

Can't lay my hands on a picture of the 123 at the moment, but it looks very much as one would imagine based on the image of the 23. Thankfully, the woodchip wallpaper I inherited is soon to be no more. The 123 is sadly not an early enough model to have the fresnel lens with the fewer steps.

Both look good. I also have plated hook clamps for them, which obviously are omitted on their current stands. The plating process started with a clean/polish, then nickel plate (to allow the copper plate to stick), then copper, then lacquer. I didn't do all this, I took the parts to a plater and it didn't cost much.

I had them plated many years ago and left them otherwise original including the T1 lamps that they came with. More recently, (well, less than 10 years ago) I decided that they were not going to be truly used until converted so I slightly reluctantly mounted BC lamp holders in them. I still have all the removed bits. The lanterns now get used daily in my living room. They currently have GLS lamps in them, but I have sometimes used with with those colour changing LED based BC lamps with a little IR remote. Obviously, the LED lamps are not ideal for the fixtures optical properties, but the GLS ones work well enough.

Well, goodness. With the faint aging to the copper, that looks beautiful. I'm looking at going with a GLS lamp holder, and was considering the option of a colour-changing LED with remote.

The 23 should be with me in a day or 2, and I can start the planning process in detail. It looks like there's going to be a fair few layers of paint to strip, time for the boiling water, hey ho... Since there's currently more chance of finding carrots on the moon than finding a period stand, I'm currently looking at 50's and 60's vintage camera stands in steel/chrome finishes, to come as close as I can in terms of aesthetic and functional matches.

[EDIT]

I got one :o - I've been messaging the companies that are "professionally" converting lamps (Don't mention PAT tests, many of them go very, very quiet for some reason...) - and I asked many, many of them to sell me a stand. I got a somewhat delayed response from one a few minutes ago, they have a "seconds" one - the same as the one attached to the 123 that I posted, but with a chip in the nickel plating. Not too worried, I'll either get it powder coated or paint it the same colour as I'm going to use on the lamp. I'll either be able to feather back the chip edges, or end up stripping all the plating. Either way, I'll get 'er done.

Edited by GruntPuppy