Buying small PA System

miniquinny

I'm watching this thread with interest.

I have a collection of pa used predominantly for a 10-piece covers band in various venues.

The OHM MR228s powered by ex-BBC Quad 502f are my favourites, but they are sounding tired. (I'm torn between the sound of the Mackie SRM450, and the economy of the Behringer actives. Has any one listened to the Behringers?)

The compromise is to find a speaker to use FOH at small gigs, and as foldback monitor for keyboards at big gigs.

The point is to let the Muso's use their same back-line set up for practise as at small gigs and only add extra foldback (or sidefill) at big gigs. (If it's different, they're put off 'cos the sound wasn't right.)

WHatever MinnyQuinny buys needs to be simple as they are mixing themselves, so they only have to plug-and-play and then think on the performance. I saw a jazz line-up using the Carlsboro Traveller last week. Nice warm sound I was knocked-out by the playing, and forgot about their PA after they started.

Owen R.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a pair of the Behringer B300s. They live in the cupboard under the stairs, and don't come out very often...

That's nothing to do with the sound quality, which is fine for my purposes. I picked them up just for "insurance", in case my main system dies, or in case I need to do a slightly bigger event. I'd guess they get used maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

But the main reason I don't like using them is that they're surprisingly heavy, and I've got a dodgy back.... I now have a quest for lightness...

They're probably destined for Ebay - does anyone want to buy them?

We have had a lot of behringer gear at college. I think it is lucky dip with the quality, some of the gear has been fine, some has clocked up over 200 miles of travel between college and the dealer.

Amps have stopped working, lost inputs (on the multi in amps), the desk dropped its phantom power in the middle of trying to get everyone's coursework recorded, eventually traced to dodgy capacitors. Yet some gear has worked fine.

We have persuaded the management to let us buy proper gear in the future.

but, some people have had no problems with the stuff.

You get what you pay for, I haven't got any money so I end up with a small amount of nice gear, college have and squander it on cheap gear, result a studio full of gear that might work if you are lucky and standing on one leg with your hand on your head!

If you have the money avoid behringer. They're cheap for a reason

I have a collection of pa used predominantly for a 10-piece covers band in various venues.

10 piece? You got a brass section then, and play decent sized rooms?

Any PA capable of even getting just vocals over a band this size needs guts.

Working on the assumption that you take a minimum of £500 a night, why not forsake a few gigs and buy a really nice system - AND get someone to mix for you. There is no way a 10 piece can be mixed from on stage. At best it will sound ok, at worst, total sh*t.

im not that keen on the behringer's personally

Is that through experience or reputation?

both, we have a pair of the euro cabs in a venue and, although they're better than the ones they're replacing, they don't sound all that great, im not sure what the person who bought them was thinking, but they're MASSIVE for the size of the venue!

there is some behringer kit that I like, I have one of the the cable testers and we have some of their gear in our rack, however the TV station on campus has a dual compressor... surprise surprise one of the sides has stopped working!

they do release some good stuff - however it can be pot luck when your buying it, so if I can possibly avoid it I'll go for better kit!

Most of the simple Behringer stuff is OK, like the Ultra-Q parametrics etc. It is so cheap you can almost consider it consumable, no point repairing it, just buy another one.

I would, however, steer away from most larger/more complicated Behringer gear.

• 3 weeks later...

hello again!

Since I last posted on here we have done out first gig with a hired PA system. Due to the budget, the PA was a powered mixer and four speakers and though we had two mics, we only needed one for the vocals as the sax was fine as it was.

The pianist had a problem hearing the vocals at times so I think the suggestion of using the Roland amp as a monitor will work well.

As for a PA, I am now really tempted to buy as hiring one takes a big chunk out of the money we actually earn and if we are going to do a number of gigs it makes more sense to buy.

I have looked on quite a few sites at different bits of kit but am still really at a loss as to which way to go.

I think I will go for powered speakers as having a powered amp limits for the future so I am after some advice on 2 or 4 powered speakers and a mixer for vocals and electric piano - brands, sizes and so on. A Shure mic will be fine for vocals and I will of course get stands for speakers/stands.

Budget will be around £500 - £700 I think. With that in mind, it might still be possible to hire tiny bits of kit for a few quid each time, ie. mics, stands etc. if it means we can spend the money on a better PA.

Thanks

One question........ would any musician ( apart from a deaf bass player) want to be heard through a pair of Peavey speakers??? eeeeeeeeek Save up a few more quid and buy some decent speakers ???

Don't mean to sound rude :unsure: , I've used peavey for over 10 years, both as a musician (Keyboards/piano/Vocals) and as singer with backing tracks! Whilst the recorded music does not replay with the same amount of clarity, I've heard so called 'top of the range' systems do an awful lot worse. Its up to the individual and what they do with the sound! )

Peavey allow you within a reasonable budget to cover a multitude of situations, throw out the sound, and are very robust, easy to repair/get spares.

It's a prejudice thing, check out the Behringer thread. I myself have had less than stellar results with Peavey PA gear, it didn't have the quality I was after and it didnt sound all that great to me. At the end of the day it's all about demoing the gear you want to buy with your own ears- for that is what will tell you if you will be happy with it or not, not other people's reviews and opinions and hearsay.

David

EDIT: and that's not to say I am not / have not been prejudiced at times as well.

It's a prejudice thing,

I agree we are all at times guilty of this, shame on us. Go with what your ears tell you, It might be also of use to check out Mackie and RCF I think they will also be in your budget

Archived