Buying small PA System

miniquinny

I had a feeling that the portable systems would be all about design rather than sound - seemed like they had to compromise on sound to get that size and compactabilit.

I like the idea of using the Roland amp as a monitor through the mixer so he can hear everything.

As for mixers/amps - what about combined rather than seperates? I realise again that there must be a compromise on quality, but is this acceptable as we are limited on space?

Also, I was told to look out for d&b kit but I also heard that only certain amps should be used with certain speakers?

Any suggestions?

Am realy grateful for the advice - I was quite convinced by the RoadGear but we might need to expand to a double bass at some point and clearly these systems would not be suitable!

Thanks again!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a powered system is a speaker that has an amplifier built into it, you just provide power and the input (usually in XLR form) to the back of the cabinet rather than to an amplifier and the into the cabinet

hope that makes sense :P

yeah passive/active is the same

HK - love them! we have 6 HK systems on campus in total (I think, may be more!) and I've had no problems with them, however I think you are very likely to go over budget! (they start at about £1k I believe)

not sure of any suppliers in manchester, JSS audio in york do them (we work with jss alot, good bunch of people)

The small HK systems work very well. A colleague in the local music shop report sporadic fuse blowing isues, although he says of late it's got better. The sound rather nice, and are built well.

A lot depends on available budget.

passive/active

The issue is active speakers, or a powered amp. The soundcrafts are nice pieces of kit - the problem is when you have bigger venues and want to put the mixer in the audience. Running long speaker cables is a pain, and they are quite heavy and lossy. For compact systems, I'm favouring powered loudspeakers. These are more manageable, whereas powered mixers are not so useful when you want to upgrade.

yup! HK are definately out of the question! ** laughs out loud **

Is there a performance difference between passive/active speakers?

Also, am I right in thinking that we will need a subwoofer as well? Or is it ok to get speakers which include them?

Any brands that fit the price range?

Cheers

(This stuff is more interesting than I realised!)

follow up: about 20 minutes after I posted I had to replace a fuse in one of the powered systems we have! typical! we reckon it's because the gain hadnt been turned down, so when it was popped on....

Ironic - that!

Sonically, the best way of doing things is to have an amp for each driver, and an active crossover so the frequency where on leaves off and the other takes over can be adjusted to produce the desired result.

Physics is the limiting factor. To shift a lot of wind at the bass end, a large driver is needed. Smaller drivers can produce low bass, but tend to be less efficient. Systems like the small HK's we were talking about have the tops fitted with smallish drivers, typically 8" or similar. The sub isn't really a true sub - it's just a bass speaker, not going that low, but complimenting the smaller top units. As the sub is a more a hi-sub (just made that word up, by the way), the idea that you can't locate bass, and the sub can be anywhere, isn't quite true. You do notice the sound image shifts as the bass content changes pitch. The versions with two of the subs, in my opinion, work better.

Peformance of the passive/actives?

Well, the best bit is that the amp is matched to the speakers properly, and the weight is distributed to the two cabs, making the extra weight, not too bad for moving them about. For small systems they are fine, and easier to shift about. Once you go up a notch, it is usually easier to have a separate amp rack. HK do some really nice powered systems up to large systems like the projector at 3.6K

If you don't have problems with space/transport then it doesn't really matter. If you do, then a lower box count system is a good choice.

One question........ would any musician ( apart from a deaf bass player) want to be heard through a pair of Peavey speakers??? eeeeeeeeek Save up a few more quid and buy some decent speakers ???

I guess I should keep away from Peavey then?!? ** laughs out loud **!

Any other good brands in the mid price range worth looking at? I've seen Phonic, Carlsbro, Roland, Skytronic, Fender, Behringer and so on but I don't really know who is good for the price and who isn't!

Archived