Zero 88 Betapack fault

whitehousejamie

Good afternoon folks,

With the continued downtime I’m going through the stack of repairs I have, including a dodgy Betapack. Have tried to get in touch with Zero 88 but not had any luck.

On DMX works perfectly.

On manual (push buttons) works perfectly.

But when using the external Level 6 controller, 1 of the channels misbehaves. When the said channel level on the Level 6 is at zero, the channel still outputs power. Raising the channel level towards full overrides this. Touching the case chassis causes a slight dimming of the channel output. All other 5 channels behave correctly.

Have tried a different Level 6 controller and different control cable.

Have opened the pack up and can’t see anything obvious, it’s immaculate inside.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Have tried to get in touch with Zero 88 but not had any luck.

Really? Keith is usually very responsive.However they are working on some events at the Cwmbran Congress so maybe he's offsite at the moment. I'd still drop an email.

keith.rogers@cooperlighting.com

+44 (0)1633 833101

You could also post on the Zero88 Forum if you have a login:

https://zero88.com/f...inued-products/

Have you got schematics? (Is this a Betapack 1 - the light grey one?)

https://elektrotanya...ia=All&kat2=All

6 channels the same to compare from the DIN8 through the opamps to the connector to the triac board. This is all on the PCB under the rear vented cover plate on a Betapack1 (DANGER: MAINS VOLTAGES). Sounds like a loose or resistive connection to me as you get some control but there is capacitive coupling from the case. The input wires I believe are yellow and go to screw terminals, so you could swap a couple over and look for how the fault moves. I'll go confirm this on one of mine shortly...

Kevin

ETA: I checked. They are the yellow wires but they come in on a coarse-pitch IDC connector to the lower centre of the PCB in the rear (Betapack1). In parallel there are a set of screw terminals so it should be feasible to mix-and-match the channel wiring to see how the fault moves.

Edited by kgallen

Hi Jamie,

Have tried to get in touch with Zero 88 but not had any luck

Sorry to hear this - how did you try to get in touch?

I assume by "external Level 6" control, you mean the 8 pin DIN connector for analogue control?

As Kevin mentions, take a look at the analogue circuitry, and see if there is anything different with connection 1 of the 8 pin DIN connector to the PCB.

Feel free to drop us an email to support@zero88.com, or as Kevin suggests contact Keith our Service Manager directly, and we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Kind regards

Edward

Edited by Edward- Z88

Hi Jamie,

OK thanks for letting us know. Yes worth getting it assessed to see what may be causing the issue. From the description it did sound like a dry joint on the analogue circuitry, but if you have reflowed the joints there could be something else going on.

If you have any questions just let us know.

Kevin - believe this is a Betapack 2, based on the channel “push buttons”, rather than rotary test switch.

Kind regards

Edward

When the said channel level on the Level 6 is at zero, the channel still outputs power. Raising the channel level towards full overrides this. Touching the case chassis causes a slight dimming of the channel output. All other 5 channels behave correctly.

Can you clarify...

1) You say the channel still outputs power. How are you measuring this? If it's just with a meter across the output, and with no load, you will see a voltage caused by leakage current. If using a meter you must also have a load lamp connected.

2) You say 'raising the level towards full'. Does this mean that the output 'snaps' to the position of the fader and now tracks it correctly from (near) off to full?

3) Which channel is misbehaving?

Your profile says ‘Near Birmingham’ - Ian Knight (http://www.serviceguy.co.uk/) is not far away if you’re struggling with basic electrical debug.

Thanks for the "plug" Kevin :)

I spoke to Jamie last week & explained something else for him to look for that might solve the issue before he resorts to letting me have a look at the unit :)

Great profile pic, Ian. I see your overheated input terminal and raise you one output terminal with collateral!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SUdi7b8HuQHm7-6xtaw3NtxkhoOkCLnl/view?usp=drivesdk

Dave

Yeah - very nasty - presumably a loose crimp on of the choke connections - it used to happen occasionally with Beta 2's :(

I love the fact there are so many Beta1s still going when Z88 have now started shipping the Beta mk 4.

Yeah - they're almost indestructible (which is bad news for me in a way) and I keep 4 as 'slave' units to loan to folks whilst repairing other dimmers.

When I worked for CTS, my heart always sunk when I was asked to quote for new lighting "stuff" (because as most folks said "These dimmers look so old...") and I discovered they were Beta 1's - the sale often became a new desk and perhaps a demux because the Beta's could be serviced back to good working order.