Remembrance Day 2020

sandall

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...snip...

- I decided that if I approached from the rear, I could pop them in for her, with acceptable risk, and with santised hands before and after, this amount of touching contact was acceptable.

...snip...

tMR8KKUH.jpg

...snip...

- I decided that if I approached from the rear, I could pop them in for her, with acceptable risk, and with santised hands before and after, this amount of touching contact was acceptable.

...snip...

tMR8KKUH.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just to resurrect this, as much out of interest as anything else. I have just had final(ish) confirmation that my usual Remembrance event IS going ahead this year, albeit without the usual parade beforehand. Like what the OP described, the parade here primarily consists of hundreds of scouts, cubs, guides, brownies, air cadets etc, all of whom bring their parents. Without them I think the wreath laying service bit will be very quiet this year. However I've been asked to provide the same PA as usual in order to cover the whole site so that those who do attend will be able to spread out for social distancing.

Has anyone else had similar requests/bookings now we're a bit closer to it?

I should say that mine remains only confirmed(ish) because the final plan is yet to be approved by the local Council (who's site it is, so who ultimately have power of veto). I can see the final final final decision coming right at the last minute - we'll see.

Edited by Biskit

If you're in a tier 1 area I'd give it at best 50:50 that the event you described happens (that tier has the requirement that no more than 6 people meet up outdoors)

If you're in tier 2 or above then the event as described breaks the letter and spirit of just about every phase of the lockdown regulations ESPECIALLY as the people most likely to turn up will be high-vulnerability groups.

There's no way your local authority are going to risk the newspaper headlines of "15 decorated war veterans die from covid after breaking lockdown regulations on council approved event"

Around here (Tier 2) all the local churches and committee's have already announced something along the lines of a streamed / recorded service available online, tie in with the local BBC broadcaster to transmit a full service, stand outside your house at 11 & that the local bishop / veteran leader will personally attend every memorial structure to make a physical gesture. ALL of the announcement made say in no uncertain terms that you absolutely must not attempt to attend the memorial in person as to do so will put it over the 6 person limit and thus prevent it from happening.

example https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/how-remembrance-day-remembrance-sunday-4609993

Just to resurrect this, as much out of interest as anything else. I have just had final(ish) confirmation that my usual Remembrance event IS going ahead this year, albeit without the usual parade beforehand. Like what the OP described, the parade here primarily consists of hundreds of scouts, cubs, guides, brownies, air cadets etc, all of whom bring their parents. Without them I think the wreath laying service bit will be very quiet this year. However I've been asked to provide the same PA as usual in order to cover the whole site so that those who do attend will be able to spread out for social distancing.

Has anyone else had similar requests/bookings now we're a bit closer to it?

I should say that mine remains only confirmed(ish) because the final plan is yet to be approved by the local Council (who's site it is, so who ultimately have power of veto). I can see the final final final decision coming right at the last minute - we'll see.

Mine is in much the same state, though I've made an executive decision to severely restrict the sound coverage area, so as NOT to attract the general public (it's going to be much on the lines of adam2's post #6, with the added pain of providing an audio feed for the live-streaming, which nobody will watch). I'm still awaiting final numbers & running order, but as of last Friday it was definitely happening. We're in Tier 2, & I totally agree with Tom about the Rule of 6, but because many of those involved are staff, councillors or otherwise being paid they seem to think they are within the letter of the rules, & have apparently convinced the Council hierarchy that even the indoors bits that (to me) are patently illegal are all kosher.

If people are there in an “official” capacity then it counts as a work situation (for Covid regs purposes) and so in theory any number of these people could attend subject to a proper event risk assessment. However as soon as members of the public turn up the rule of 6 / 2 households rule applies. There’s a few specific legal exemptions (circus for example) BUT they are niche and specific and also

Require a shed load of paperwork.

There’s no way the sort of members of the public who /want/ to go to a remembrance event in person Would make it through even the most arbitrary risk assement. I’ve double checked and RBL official advice is “don’t do it”.

Whilst I appreciate in the current circumstances the desperate need to take any paying gig available I can’t find any way to square in my own head actively encouraging elderly/infirm to get together in a big group as something I could actively support.

I'd bet good money they simply don't approve it.

It's their gig, so I expect they will !! Unfortunately it started off on the ambitious side (new broom, wanting to impress his masters), so an enormous amount of H&S time & effort has gone into trying to keep it safe, & everyone but the office cat has had to sign it off.

It's a difficult call (nothing to do with taking "any paying gig available" - if I was relying on that I'd have died of starvation long ago) for many reasons, but Boris's lockdown (if he ever gets around to announcing it) may yet make them pull the plugs, so your money might be safe smile.gif

The guidelines still leave little or no room for the use of PA systems as "event organisers should take reasonable steps to discourage the public from attending events" and ceremonies should be abbreviated to just wreath laying.

They do intend to register everyone who attends including socially distanced passers by and keep those contact details for 3 weeks, I trust? That alone would persuade me to hold a drive-by wreath laying