Strand 520 died :(

richard

Hi All

I'bve been using a very old 520 for a show recently (the show file that was loaded when I turned it on was from 2014 so it hadn't been out of the case for a while!) It worked great until just before the final performance when suddenly the subs stopped working and the LCDs went blank (although DMX still outputs and all the buttons still work) The midi port also stopped working which was unfortunate as we were using Qlab to fire MSC into it.

Luckily we got through the show and since it was the final one it wasn't a disaster, but I would like to get the desk fixed for old times sake. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened? I have a suspiscion it was to do with the midi as I noticed that someone had re-plugged the midi so my adaptor went from the in to the thru, which shouldn't cause a problem but seemed to have happened that day so seems unlikley to be a co-incidence.

Any ideas appreciated!

Richard

...someone had re-plugged the midi so my adaptor went from the in to the thru...

Not sure I understand that bit. You probably know this but MIDI Thru is not like a DMX Thru in that there are electronics that buffer MIDI In before it gets to MIDI Thru.

Hi All

I'bve been using a very old 520 for a show recently (the show file that was loaded when I turned it on was from 2014 so it hadn't been out of the case for a while!) It worked great until just before the final performance when suddenly the subs stopped working and the LCDs went blank (although DMX still outputs and all the buttons still work) The midi port also stopped working which was unfortunate as we were using Qlab to fire MSC into it.

Luckily we got through the show and since it was the final one it wasn't a disaster, but I would like to get the desk fixed for old times sake. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened? I have a suspiscion it was to do with the midi as I noticed that someone had re-plugged the midi so my adaptor went from the in to the thru, which shouldn't cause a problem but seemed to have happened that day so seems unlikley to be a co-incidence.

Any ideas appreciated!

Richard

If someone's replugged the midi, does that mean the desk may have been moved? Even so, if it's not been used for a while before the current stint, one or more of the cables inside may have become dislodged? IIRC, the subs/LCDS are on ribbon cables, although I can't remember exactly where they run as it's been a good few years since I last had my head under the bonnet of a 520, and I don't seem to have any lid-up photos to reference!

I can't remember how midi gets to the mainboard, but loose cables may explain why the console still functioned. Might be worth popping the lid up and checking all connectors are firmly home.

Edited by IRW

Thanks all - desk wasn't moved - I think someone was just fiddling. It worked for the first few hours or the day then suddenly died (all the subs values jumped to full then no longer physically worked), so I think it is something electronic.

I have worked on earlier LSC Lighting desks that had the fader boards connected by a serial ribbon cable string to the main processor board. One fix for when fader boards stopped working was to reseat the serial connectors after spraying with CO contact cleaner. In extreme cases you had to solder the wires to the connector. You may have a connector problem even without moving the desk because of connector corrosion. Might be worth trying a reseat ?

Yes that's the one. Be VERY careful removing the old one as it is easy to lift pads from the PCB if you're not used to desoldering. Once the battery is out check for any corrosion under the green solder resist as the nasty chemicals tend to wick along between layers.

I tend to cut out and leave out the Nicad. Only use I found for it was to retain the current show in RAM during "BROWNOUTS" in case the console did not manage to do one of it's autosaves.

There are tracks running in the vicinity of the nicad and once corrosion gets to them they're a right $%^%%$ to fix.

Some consoles may still have diagnostic test software left on them which when run, would normally be a good indicator to the source of the problem.

You need to run CTOS.exe from the dos prompt. If CTOS exists, you'll find it in the 220os directory.

If you don't have it, let me know and I'll ty to email you a copy.

K.