Lichfield Garrick opening Nov 1st.

Ynot

Pretty sure we have one or two who've worked at or are still on the books at the Garrick.

I've seen a mail sent to one of my people today with the announcement that they are starting up again on Nov 1st.

Not clear yet what the programme will be - their What's On page still lists shows from Sept, so maybe they'll just pick up from there.

However, unless the SD limits are down to 1m (which as far as I can see they're not) I don't know how they're expecting to cover costs without some big-time discounts on the mostly pro acts that I can see there.

Anyone have any inside knowledge?

Pretty sure we have one or two who've worked at or are still on the books at the Garrick.

I've seen a mail sent to one of my people today with the announcement that they are starting up again on Nov 1st.

Not clear yet what the programme will be - their What's On page still lists shows from Sept, so maybe they'll just pick up from there.

However, unless the SD limits are down to 1m (which as far as I can see they're not) I don't know how they're expecting to cover costs without some big-time discounts on the mostly pro acts that I can see there.

Anyone have any inside knowledge?

On the social distancing distance, as I understand it, 1m is permissible with risk mitigation (which can include face coverings), certainly 'in the workplace'. Whether one can apply this definition to an audience in an auditorium or not isn't evident, but could be viewed in the same way as customers in shops?

Source: https://www.gov.uk/g...ancing-guidance (Sections 1.1 & 1.4)

Being a modern-ish venue, the LG has a fair amount of 'circulation space', and decent size foyers. Having spent many years working on / poring over CAD plans of the building, I can quite easily envisage how they could implement one-way systems and such like (FOH at least...backstage would be a bit trickier). Similarly, the 'natural ventilation' system probably lends itself quite well to keeping the air 'fresh', as 100% of the air being drawn into the auditorium is 'new' (in that there is no re-circulation), assuming the system is still fully working. (It took me the best part of a few years to get my head around the intricacies, and then I left...!). If they had the desire, it would also be a cinch* to add some sort of intake UV sterilisation system, as all the air for the auditorium/stage comes from 2 main plenums fed from 3 intakes**.

When I was in Buxton for LIIR the other night, one of my colleagues had a message to say LG was intending to put a panto on, but other than that, I'm not aware of any details!

* a little bit of conjecture on my part- I don't fully understand how UV-C air sterilisation works, other than what I've learnt from Big Clive...!

** otherwise known as holes on the side of the building through which the air drifts naturally into the plenums

Edited by IRW

On the social distancing distance, as I understand it, 1m is permissible with risk mitigation (which can include face coverings), certainly 'in the workplace'. Whether one can apply this definition to an audience in an auditorium or not isn't evident, but could be viewed in the same way as customers in shops?

Source: https://www.gov.uk/g...ancing-guidance (Sections 1.1 & 1.4)

As far as I can see in the latest guidance re performances https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts#arts-3-1 Social Distancing is mentioned but not defined at any point except the usual definition for work which is 2m or 1m with robust mitigations. Later it says 2m wherever possible. My own view is that while it might be nice to view Auditoria as the same as shops they simply aren't and while they might have a relationship to production line workplaces they resemble few other workplaces either. As usual with the Leader of The Conservative Party and his pals there seems to be plenty of words but very few which give anybody any real guide. (Oh how I would like to find out who first used the dread phrase 'road map' and give them a good slapping.)

I think that the biggest sticking point would be that distancing figure.

The way that we've gone (and from what I can tell many other venues) is that it remains at 2m for the likes of us - the 1m plus mitigation I don't feel would be enough to say that audience are wearing masks. They did that (and gently enforced it) at ALW's concert last month and it wasn't something that was popular with the punters in their review I believe. The argument around whether they should 'put up' with the inconvenience is something I'd say is very likely to put people right off the idea of attending. It's one thing to (correctly) be told to wear for shops etc, but quite another to have to do so when you're supposed to be out enjoying an event.

I'd be interested to see more of what they're proposing because obviously if they think they've got it licked, then maybe there's something to learn....

Interesting views from the experts now about how reliable temperature checks are as a way of detecting someone's health. Especially as it now looks like you are most infectious in the day or so before you notice any symptoms.

Interesting views from the experts now about how reliable temperature checks are as a way of detecting someone's health. Especially as it now looks like you are most infectious in the day or so before you notice any symptoms.

Is there a link to that info ??

The next step of "the palladium test" was to have been 1m spacing which got them to 50% capacity and then the step after that full capacity and careful tracking to monitor what level of spread actually occured. Since performance has been granted again now it's highly likely those tests will be done and data collated in plenty of time for the garrick to benefit from the results. The next government announcement about venue re-opening is expected in november - at no point have they ever given an announcement to the effect "in 5 weeks time you can open" so it's a reasonably safe bet that at some point in november there will be a clearly defined next step.

It's also worth noticing circus has been out the door for a month now (with social distancing & cleaning measures) and not had any issues so again, by November there's going to be a lot of proven real-world data and experience about what does and doesn't work. The secret to re-opening is having a staff and creative team that can adapt on the fly and be able to present anything from a one-man panto right up to the full spectacular with only a few weeks notice.

Is there a link to that info ??

The article I read in the last couple of days referenced the US and, probably, the views of Dr Fauci. But the official UK advice backs this up...

There is little scientific evidence to support temperature screening as a reliable method for detection of COVID-19 or other febrile illness, especially if used as the main method of testing.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dont-rely-on-temperature-screening-products-for-detection-of-coronavirus-covid-19-says-mhra

Follow on: https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/08/13/fauci-says-coronavirus-temperature-checks-notoriously-inaccurate/#18a6b43733f0

The article I read in the last couple of days referenced the US and, probably, the views of Dr Fauci. But the official UK advice backs this up...
There is little scientific evidence to support temperature screening as a reliable method for detection of COVID-19 or other febrile illness, especially if used as the main method of testing.

Thanks.

That supports my own impressions - it wasn't clear from your first post whether the feeling was pro or con temp checks. :)

We have a small (and fairly budget) body temp scanner as we at home check each other regularly (as well as a pulsox reader, as coincidentally I read another Fauci article many weeks ago saying that this WAS a very good indicator of pulminary problems) but it's really not very accurate. Especially with me, for some reason. I can read anywhere from 35 degrees up to 36.7, even when I've been working and am sweating like a dog... :)