Video Tripod Recomendations

chelgrian

I'm looking for a mid range video tripod for use with a mirrorless camera. The problem is it's very difficult to work out what is any good as there are few reviews about and most online discussions quickly turn in to professional videographers insisting that it's utterly impossible to use anything but a £5000 Sachtler.

Ideally I want something that will balance the camera in any orientation however it does not need to be complete smooth moving as it will only be moved when not recording or live.

Anyone any recommendations?

I have a Libec th-650 which is very good. Easy to put up with levelling bowl and spirit level. Seems to be about £250

Edit-doesn't do portrait mode though, is that what you meant by "any orientation"

Edited by timsabre

'Mid Range' means different things to different people; and I'm assuming that by "balance the camera in any orientation" you mean it must have pan and tilt locks (rather than portrait or landscape). As you also say that you will only reposition the camera when not recording, then a very high quality 'fluid head' would be unnecessary. So I'd be looking to ensure that a) The head is designed to carry the weight of the camera/accessories you plan to use it with, b) the tripod gives you the height range you need (it's amazing how many don't allow you to get the camera high enough to get on the eye-line of a standing adult for example) c) it has a quick release/plate for the camera 3) has a bowl mounting head and built in spirit level for fast levelling d) is a 'known' brand so that spares/repairs are possible e) if you're likely to shoot outdoors, does it have an elevated spreader (if it has a spreader at all) to keep it out of the mud.

There are plenty around from Libec, Manfrotto and Sachtler that fit the bill. As a supplier, I've found Wex to be a good compromise between price and service.

'Mid Range' means different things to different people; and I'm assuming that by "balance the camera in any orientation" you mean it must have pan and tilt locks (rather than portrait or landscape). As you also say that you will only reposition the camera when not recording, then a very high quality 'fluid head' would be unnecessary. So I'd be looking to ensure that a) The head is designed to carry the weight of the camera/accessories you plan to use it with, b) the tripod gives you the height range you need (it's amazing how many don't allow you to get the camera high enough to get on the eye-line of a standing adult for example) c) it has a quick release/plate for the camera 3) has a bowl mounting head and built in spirit level for fast levelling d) is a 'known' brand so that spares/repairs are possible e) if you're likely to shoot outdoors, does it have an elevated spreader (if it has a spreader at all) to keep it out of the mud.

There are plenty around from Libec, Manfrotto and Sachtler that fit the bill. As a supplier, I've found Wex to be a good compromise between price and service.

To answer some questions by 'mid range' I mean up to around £1000 for a complete tripod system. By balance in any orientation I mean mean pan an tilt locks and/or enough counter weighting that the head will stay in any position once balanced. Indeed I don't need a very high quality fluid head they seem to be astonishingly expensive presumably because of low production runs and any involved in film or broadcast seems to be 'add at least one more zero to the price.

For Manfrotto there seem to be things like

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-500-twin-aluminium-leg-video-system-1538424/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-mvk502am-1-video-tripod-kit-1556385/

For Sachtler there is

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sachtler-ace-m-ms-tripod-system-1589546/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sachtler-1018a-ace-xl-ms-al-video-tripod-1642420/

Then there is Vinten Vision with a Blue head, Wex don't have the aluminium version of this only the carbon fibre one at great expense but

https://www.proav.co.uk/cameras-accessories/tripods-monopods/tripod-systems/vb-ap2f-vision-blue-tripod-system

However I'd want a mid level spreader rather than a floor level one.

Manfrotto and Sachtler and Vinten are all owned by the same holding company Vitec which was originally Vinten Goup PLC and renamed to Vitec in 1995.

Plenty of excellent Vintens, Satchlers and Miller out there around 10 years old for less than a grand - All these have crazily long lifespans. My favourites, the Vintens often come up and a decent set of legs and well looked after grey 5 head often pop up on ebay - I think I paid around £600 for a Vinten 5 in really good condition. The heads ae the critical thing for me. Avoid the 500/501 heads and the Vinten badged versions. They're just not a patch on the proper heads. Mid level spreaders are a bit rarer - but still appear from time to time. I like the Vintens mainly because they're smooth, but no matter the angle of the camera and the pile of batteries hung on them, they stay put when you take your hand off the pan handle. many do not!

Plenty of excellent Vintens, Satchlers and Miller out there around 10 years old for less than a grand - All these have crazily long lifespans. My favourites, the Vintens often come up and a decent set of legs and well looked after grey 5 head often pop up on ebay - I think I paid around £600 for a Vinten 5 in really good condition. The heads ae the critical thing for me. Avoid the 500/501 heads and the Vinten badged versions. They're just not a patch on the proper heads. Mid level spreaders are a bit rarer - but still appear from time to time. I like the Vintens mainly because they're smooth, but no matter the angle of the camera and the pile of batteries hung on them, they stay put when you take your hand off the pan handle. many do not!

What do you think of

https://bps-tv.co.uk/vinten-system-vision-blue-2-stage-al-pl-ms-sc.html

It appears to be about the cheapest real Vinten you can get. It can balance unto 5Kg doing the sums my entire rig should be between 3 and 3.5kg.

They don't seem to sell the rebased manfroto's anymore which were under the 'Pro Vision' sub brand and appeared to be anything but pro.

If I needed another - I'd buy that with no hesitation. A good price and they're decent heads - plus the mid level spreader is there. Do keep an eye on ebay though - one of those but without the case went a few weeks back for £650. That's quite rare, but I think a few people need the cash.