Soldering blackened/corroded copper.

Dj Dunc

Is it really an unobtainable connector? This guy on ebay seems to have access to all manner of sumitomo stuff. He only lists the "popular" stuff but may be worth a try. Link What's the vehicle?

It's a 2008 Defender 110. The Sumitomo part number for the housing is 6195-0173 but I certainly can't find a supplier. A few places carry the vehicle loom half but not the male.

I was tempted to try the vinegar trick. Might definitely give it a go now!

If it's a Deafener then I'm sure Paul will be able to sort you out. I've had stuff for my 110 from him that I couldn't find anywhere else...

Keep us posted.

If the cable is corroded, then the only effective solution is to replace it. Soaking the cable in coke might remove the corrosion, but it results in thinner more brittle cable. Sod’s law dictates that this cable will then let you down at the most inconvenient time, potentially leaving you stranded at the side of the road with no working trailer lights ,and no easy way to fix them. If it was me I’d just replace the whole loom with one of these.

Edit: If you still want to repair/replace your connector, this thread contains quite a bit of useful information.

Edited by gyro_gearloose