BP11 Comms.... Modification

scaryxpuppy

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way (if at all possible) to modify a standard BP11 Comms Pack (metal case), to have a larger notification light attached.

Have seen light fittings of various sorts available from the likes of RS but am the first to admit, I am in now way knowledgable when it comes to electrical components like this.

Looking at a cheaper option than the standard off-the-shelf solution, thats all.

Any help or advice, greatly appreciated.

Regards

PHIL

The older BP11 should be quite easy to modify. The call function works by putting 12vdc across the audio bus and ground, so wire some sort of bright LED thing onto those pins - might need some circuitry to stop it affecting the audio quality, depending on how the supply for the LED works.

The older BP11 should be quite easy to modify. The call function works by putting 12vdc across the audio bus and ground, so wire some sort of bright LED thing onto those pins - might need some circuitry to stop it affecting the audio quality, depending on how the supply for the LED works.

That would be a bit too basic to work. The D.C. is applied through a relatively high impedance so there would be very little current available to drive an indicator. You need a threshold detector to monitor the audio line for a D.C. level above about 4V and use that to switch your indicator running from the 24V rail.

I have had a couple of instances (for a dual channel setup) of this circuit built into our SM desk for years now and they have worked really well. Even the most distracted SM seems to notice them.

The other upgrade that I made was to convert all the belt packs to LED because I was forever changing lamps.