Cable end protectors

samchurchill

Hi,

We have a CAT6 reel with standard moulded RJ45 plugs on each end that keep getting damaged while being put into position, through various cable runs and hatches, for each event. I’m sure I’ve seen some protector “shells” with screw tops that can be used to encapsulate the ends when not in use, but can’t find them online.

Can anyone recommend any? Ideally they’d be able to be retrofitted (i.e. not require re-termination of the cable). Unfortunately etherCon isn’t possible because of what they’ve got to plug into at each end.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sam

Edited by samchurchill

This depends on the size of the moulding on your RJ45s of course & you'll need to remove & reterminate one end to get the boots on - but If you remove the insides from a Neutrik MXX connector (just a normal 3 pin will do) and fit just the boot & metal shell, an RJ45 can slide out to plug it in. You can then slide it back in and tape a Neutrik dust cover over the end when not in use.

My link

Edited by MarkPAman

Would a dust cap be sufficent? Or do you need something more robust? At the price point they could be a fit and throw away once used / damaged

edit - didnt read Marks response fully....hes already mentioned them, apologies

Edited by IainB

Depending on budget you could ethercon and then have one of the adapters and patch that to your device.

I have something at work I got at LSI a few years ago that are adapters but for rj45 rather than ethercon, Similar to d0me5tic link barrels.

Depending on budget you could ethercon and then have one of the adapters and patch that to your device.

I have something at work I got at LSI a few years ago that are adapters but for rj45 rather than ethercon, Similar to d0me5tic link barrels.

Neutrik Ethercon Coupler.

LINK

Neutrik Ethercon Coupler.

LINK

please don’t buy those ones! Get the more modern cat6a with the round shells. Here’s why:

Thanks for all the replies - some great products and suggestions there.

My favourite is definitely the TMB ProShell because it doesn’t introduce extra cable joints (we’re near the max cable length for our HDbaseT system) and can’t go missing. Does anyone know where to get them - their UK web shop is offline?

Sam

Thanks for all the replies - some great products and suggestions there.

My favourite is definitely the TMB ProShell because it doesn’t introduce extra cable joints (we’re near the max cable length for our HDbaseT system) and can’t go missing. Does anyone know where to get them - their UK web shop is offline?

Sam

Email them. I got a quick reply.